Album review: ‘Bewitched’ by Laufey

Laufey Lín is a 24-year-old music artist who is currently embarking on a world tour for her sophomore album, Bewitched. (Fair use photo from laufeymusic.com)

Bewitched is Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter Laufey’s sophomore album.[1]  Released on September 8, 2023,  the album has fourteen tracks and a run time of 48 minutes and 27 seconds.[2] It is undeniably an album worth listening to!

Born in Reykjavík, Iceland, Laufey Lín Jónsdóttir, more commonly known by the mononym Laufey (pronounced lāy-vāy), is an Icelandic-Chinese artist who gained immense popularity after topping Billboard’s Alternative New Artist Album chart with her debut album, Everything I Know About Love.[3] 

In my review, I will list a few noteworthy songs from the album, as well as some of their key parts, such as instrumentals, tone, and mood. I will also list my favorite lines from each song to give you an idea of the style of Laufey’s music.

Fun Fact: Laufey’s accompanist is her twin sister, Junia, who plays the violin for all the tracks.

Dreamer

The album opens with the song “Dreamer”, a jazzy, Disney-style song about swearing off love.  As melodious piano accompanies her, Laufey croons in an upbeat, confident tone.  The message of the song is rather ironic because the remainder of the songs on the record are all about heartbreak and romance, the very things that Laufey claimed she would never entangle herself with in “Dreamer.”

Favorite Line: “As far as I’m concerned, this witch is numb to love.”

Second Best

Ironically, “Second Best” is also the second track on the album. A far more melancholic number than its predecessor, it was actually written per a fan’s request.  The meaning of the song is straightforward– being the second best to someone who is your “everything.”  While “Dreamer” opened with a style similar to that of the Chordettes[4], “Second Best” is a more stripped-back and quiet track.

Favorite Line: “Nightingale singing half-hearted lullabies.”

Haunted

Described by Laufey herself as “a darker, sexier song,[5]” “Haunted” is the third song on the record. Whilst not as melancholic as “Second Best,” it still carries feelings of heartbreak and despair. The track describes the overwhelming feelings of love for someone who still “haunts” you, despite not being a consistent presence in your life.

Favorite Line: “One more kiss, wine-stained lips.

While You Were Sleeping 

The fifth track off of Bewitched, “While You Were Sleeping” has a fittingly dreamy melody to accompany it.  As she describes the precise moment she realized she was in love with her partner, Laufey warbles with airy vocals that echo the weightlessness of being wholly in love.

Favorite Line: “Primrose at three, you had all of me.”

Promise

The record’s ninth track happens to be my personal favorite. Like “Haunted,” it describes the feeling of being attached to someone from your past. In this case, it is a far more forlorn song than “Haunted.” With a striking build-up to an elegant bridge, Laufey once again shines in terms of her ethereal vocals.

Favorite Lines: “I’ve done the math / There’s no solution / We’ll never last.”

Bewitched

The fourteenth and final track on the album, “Bewitched” sounds just as beautiful as its name. With magical instrumentals and chord progressions, and of course Laufey’s timeless vocals, it seems to bewitch the listener. The lyricism in the songs paints an immaculate picture of the feelings of passion and love she feels.

Favorite Lines: “I didn’t know that much at all / ‘Bout love before / But now, I think I’m learning.”

Despite being only her second full-length record, Bewitched is a masterpiece that showcases all of Laufey’s strengths. 

Visit her official website and online storefront for more content and information!