Top 10 throwback songs for this upcoming spring’s playlist

I love a good playlist so I curated this for you all! Fair use photos from Spotify

As spring is coming up this year, it’s important to have a banging playlist for this upcoming season.

Even though many new artists are coming out with awesome tracks that are always a great listen, we can’t help but love a good throwback song.

I’ve put together a list of the top ten “must haves” for your playlist in the upcoming season.

Taking the number 10 spot is going to be “Die Young” by Kesha. This track was released on September 25, 2012 as a lead single from her second studio album, Warrior. This song has an absolute vibe from beginning to end. The song is upbeat, and has a fun and adventurous tone to it. Calling all extroverts, this song is for you! Everybody loves and respects the American icon Kesha, and most of us grew up listening to her music.

In our number 9 spot is “Drive By” by Train. This track was released on January 10, 2012, on the album California 37. Train is a Grammy Award winning American rock band, who has sold over 4 million copies of their albums in the United States. “Drive By” is the perfect song to blast in the car, with every window rolled down!

For our number 8 spot, we have “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities. “Safe and Sound” was released on December 26, 2011, and the music video was released on February 13, 2012. This became the duo’s first top 10 hit single. Capital Cities says the song is all about having a support system to get you through tough times. 

In spot number 7, we have “Pompeii” by Bastille. “Pompeii” was released on January 11, 2013, on Bastille’s debut studio album Bad Blood. According to Dan Smith, the song was written as a conversation between two victims of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. The song has a heavy beat to it, as well as strong vocals that just make you want to sing along!

Taking our seat number 6 is “Everybody Talks” by Neon Trees. This song was released on December 11, 2011.This is the lead single from the second studio album, Picture Show. This song is another one of those perfectly constructed tracks that just make you want to sing along. You could play this song, and just about anybody would be able to sing along!

In our number 5 spot we’ve got “Ridin’ Solo,” by Jason Derulo. The track was released on February 24, 2010, on his self-titled album, Jason Derulo. The music video was released almost three months later, on May 10, 2010. The song was originally sampled from “Bitter Sweet Symphony” by Verne. However, the sample was not cleared. This is a great throwback to play if you’re one of our single ladies. Embrace it!

Securing spot number 4 is going to be “We Are Young’‘ by Fun, featuring Janelle Monae. The track came out on September 20, 2011, and was released on the groups second studio album, Some Nights. The song, as well as the whole album has been said to represent the feeling of loneliness, as well as the contradicting feeling of love. I think the songs on this album are so great because many of us could relate to the lyrics the group is singing. 

.

Rolling into the top 3, in that number 3 spot we have “Some Nights” by Fun. The song was released on February 21, 2012. It was released on the same album as our number 4 spot, “We Are Young.” Much like “We Are Young,” this song also highlights that idea of loneliness, and the contrasting idea of love. This is my personal favorite song on the album, and an absolute throwback classic that immediately comes to mind when thinking of the songs that shaped our childhood.

Taking the number two place, just falling short of that number one spot is “Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s. This song was released on May 9, 2006 as an EP from their third studio album, All That We Needed. “Hey There Delilah” was a double 2008 Grammy nominee for Song of the Year, as well as Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. This is an all time classic for the kids who grew up in the 2000ss. We can recognize this hit just from the first few beats of the song!

Finally, securing the number one spot, a must have throwback for your Spring playlist, “Out of My League” by Fitz and The Tantrums. This song was released on February 7, 2013 on the band’s second studio album, More Than Just a Dream. This was the lead single on the album. This song is about a boy who is absolutely star struck with his lover who is very much “out of his league.” I think this song just brings an overall good vibe. It’s perfect to sing along with your friends on long car rides, or late summer nights. This is the best throwback song in my opinion. 

Some of our student and staff’s favorite throwback songs:

Be sure to add these awesome throwbacks to you playlist. Next time you get into your car, and plug in your aux cord or connect through bluetooth, stream one of theses songs to take you back to the glory days!