Taylor Swift, The Eras Tour, and how a concert changed my life

Senior Kinzie Cusipag, age 4, sings Taylor Swift in her bedroom.
Freshman Kaitlynn Cusipag, Senior Kylie Weber, Senior McKinzie Cusipag, and Sophomore Cami Weber pose for a picture at the Eras Tour. (Kinzie Cusipag)

I’ve been a ‘Swiftie’ for the larger part of my life.

Ever since I was little, I spent my nights dancing around my kitchen, putting on eras-tour-worthy performances of my own. Soon enough, as my walls became flooded with posters of my favorite blondie, I realized that Taylor’s music was no longer simply background noise for me. Her music was a link of which connected me to my little sister, my cousins, and millions of other women worldwide, creating one of the most supportive communities I’ve had the privilege of being a part of.  As my first concert experience, Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour was not only a celebration of my favorite music, but continued to impact me even as I left the stadium. Attending the ERAS tour allowed me to experience the heart of this community with my own perspective, as well as giving me a chance to return back to my childhood nostalgia, and bonding with my little sister. 

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Sartell freshman Kaitlynn Cusipag showing off her bracelets at the eras tour.

From the minute I entered the arena, I could feel the electric energy permeating throughout every person in attendance. The practice of trading bracelets created such an intimate venue, despite the tens of thousands of fans in attendance. Before I left, my entire arm was lined with colorful beads, given to me by strangers. With each, I had unique, life changing, interactions and conversations with people who I would otherwise never even meet. The girl I sat next to and I even became friends, and still continue to communicate to this day. The atmosphere of this event even transcended the performance itself, forming a supportive community where stories (and bracelets) were exchanged, laughter echoed, tears were shed- acting as a testament to the unifying power of music and friendship between strangers. 

Many of my fondest memories are spent with Taylor’s music streaming in the background, so receiving the opportunity to hear them live was incredibly special. As Taylor first entered the stage, I was overwhelmed with every emotion that I had tied to every song. Tears filled my eyes as the Fearless set transported me back to my childhood. Realizing that the songs I loved when I was little could now be related to events that happened in my own life, was an incredibly bittersweet moment, but one I will cherish forever. 

Senior Kinzie Cusipag poses for a picture with her younger sister Kaitlynn Cusipag. (Kinzie Cusipag)

The most heartwarming aspect of my ERAS tour experience was the shared joy it brought to my relationship between me and my sister. Though I’ve always been a more dedicated fan than her, we were able to bond over dancing to the music we loved together, and dance to “Shake it off” the same way we did as children. We sang, danced, embraced one another, and shed tears throughout the performance, each moment becoming a memory that will forever be etched into our hearts. This concert became a symbol of our shared experiences, strengthened our bond, and allowed us to connect in a way we had never been able to before.  

In conclusion, Taylor Swift’s ERAS Tour concert was a transformative experience, leaving me with memories that will last a lifetime. Not only was I introduced to many like-minded people, but this concert introduced me to the community as a whole, rekindled the magic of my childhood nostalgia, and deepened my appreciation for the bond I share with my sister. This concert was so much more than a fantastic performance, it will exist forever as a tapestry of memories, emotions, and newfound connections that will continue to enrich my life in profound and meaningful ways.