College essentials you might not have thought of

That+time+is+approaching+for+high+school+seniors+to+start+preparing+for+their+transition+to+college.+
That time is approaching for high school seniors to start preparing for their transition to college.

As the end of the 2024 school year approaches, Sartell seniors are already thinking about where the future will take them. Whether this is traveling, continuing in school, or heading straight into the workforce, this can be a stressful time for upcoming graduates. If you choose to have the college experience and stay in the dorms next year, be sure to remember these essentials to help you get through the year.

1. Water Filter

Most college dorms do not provide filtered water for students to drink on campus other than in the dining halls. This can be inconvenient for students. A water filter can make this much easier for students and can be filled using any water source since the water is purified through the filter. This is an easy way to stay hydrated, especially if your dorm does not have air conditioning.

Vaccum cleaners are an essential when cleaning up hair, crumbs, and spills. (Fair use photo from Shark).

2. Vacuum Cleaner

Surprisingly, this is something most college freshmen easily forget. In order to keep your dorm clean, a vacuum cleaner is essential. Investing in a nice, quality vacuum may also be beneficial so that it can last you many years.

3. Large Trash Can

Most students think a small trash can in their dorm will get them by, but they don’t realize the amount of trash that they produce. Think about all the things you throw away in a day, whether that is in the kitchen trash or anywhere else around the house. A larger trash can will allow for fewer trips to empty it which can be much more convenient, especially on busy days.

4. Ice Tray

If you want to keep your water or other drinks cold, especially in your water bottle, an ice tray is a must. There are no community ice makers in the dorms in most cases, so this is the only way to have convenient access to ice, which may be necessary for various reasons.

Medicine like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and cold medicine are a must when moving away from home. (Elizabeth Jarnot)

5. Medicine

Another absolute essential is basic drugstore medications, like cold and flu medicine. Most students don’t think about this until they are sick, which can get expensive if you’re purchasing medicine at an on-campus store. You will get sick when you are in college, and being prepared for this will make things a lot smoother.

6. Fan

A fan is a pretty universal essential when heading to college, especially if you prefer to sleep in a colder setting. Regardless if your dorm has air conditioning, which most do not, you will still need a fan on those warmer days.

7. Sound Machine

Most incoming freshman don’t realize the amount of outside noise that can be heard from their dorm room, especially at night. There will be people yelling in the halls, outside, or in the rooms surrounding you. A sound machine can be a helpful way to mask some of that extra noise when trying to fall asleep after a long day. If you plan to room with a roommate next year, make sure they don’t mind a little white noise, but most people would appreciate this at bedtime.

Let’s see what Sartell Seniors have to say!

Morgan Gill, Kinzie Cusipag, and Ashlyn Swanson are excited to start planning their dorm essentials for next year. (Elizabeth Jarnot)