Sabre dance team is ready for their debut

Lola Sens
The Sartell Dance Team poses for their fall season pictures behind Sartell City Hall.

The Sartell Sabre Dance Team is having their annual dance show fundraiser this Saturday, November 18th at 11 am and 4 pm at Sartell High School. The dance show is the Sabre’s biggest fundraiser, raising money for costumes, coaches, busing, etc.

The Sabre dancers are more than thrilled to show off their new routines. They have been preparing for the competition season since June 8th, 2023, so finally getting to showcase their talents is more than exciting for the team.

The Sartell Dance Team always does a team pep talk before they hit the floor. This was at last year’s CLC Championship. (Kalyn Jacobs)

The Sabre Dance Team has had a legacy of success, with many section and state placements. The team has advanced to state for the past 18 consecutive years! The team was founded in 2002 by head coach Kelly McCarney at just 19 years old. Coach McCarney continues to do what she loves, and she has been coaching for over 20 years.

For this season, I would like to achieve continuous growth and improvement, reaching our full potential, and having fun.

— Kelly McCarney

The Sartell Dance Team celebrates their section placements to go to state last season. (Amelia Larcom)

Q&A with members of the team:

Question: What dance are you most nervous to premiere? 

“My jazz dance because it is easy to get off on turns.” – SHS junior, Maddie Winters

Question: What are you looking forward to this season? 

“Probably the bus rides to competitions and the Edina invitational.” – SHS sophomore, Amelia Larcom

Question: What’s your favorite part about dance show? 

“ I am most excited about premiering our new dances because I really like them.” – SHS junior, Sophie Swartout

Junior Sophie Swartout performs “Disco Nation” at last year’s CLC Championship. (Kalyn Jacobs)

Question: How are you feeling as a rookie for your first performance? 

“I am nervous for my first performance because I don’t want to mess up, but I am excited for the adrenaline rush before we dance.” – SHS freshman, Claire Getting

Question: How are you feeling as a senior about your last dance show ever? 

“I am excited but it’s also kind of sad.” – SHS senior, Zayda Pekula 

Senior Zayda Pekula performs “I Put A Spell On You” at last year’s CLC Championship. (Kalyn Jacobs)

Question: What dance are you most excited to premiere? 

“Kick because it’s a really fun and upbeat dance.” – SHS sophomore, Jenna Jansky

Make sure to come support the SSDT on November 18th at Sartell High School at 11 am and 4 pm!