Expeditions up north

The+Les+Voyageurs+program+is+a+life+changing+experience+for+any+one+who+decides+to+participate.+
Lillian Kurowski
The Les Voyageurs program is a life changing experience for any one who decides to participate.
The Les Voyageurs campers spent 28 days in the Canadian wilderness (photo used with permission of Gracelyn Schulte).

Every summer Sartell students have the opportunity to participate in a life changing outdoor adventure through Les Voyageurs.

Les Voyageurs is a program that Sartell students have participated in since 1971.  This amazing opportunity lasts approximately 30 days in Canada, canoeing from lake to lake through portages.  The crew gets to call Manitoba and Ontario their home for the 250-400 mile journey.

Each of the small groups have seven to eight brave students, as well as one to two guides with much knowledge and experience.  Participants must have completed 10th grade, ranging from ages 16 to 18.  The journey may not be easy, but according to Les Voyageurs, Inc it has “proven to be a pivotal point” in the lives of the 3,000 participants.

Gracelyn, Megann, and the the rest of the crew enjoyed some typical camping treats in Canada (photo used with permission of Megann Jobin).

Sabres Gracelyn Schulte, Megann Jobin, and Lillian Kurowski were three of many to take part in the Les Voyageurs, Inc expedition. 

They started the challenge before even going to the Canadian wilderness.  The crew learns and practices the skills needed to feel more confident about what lies ahead.  Planning a meal plan was also part of the prep work.   Every participant had their own favorite meal. 

Megann Jobin and Gracelyn Schulte favored the noodle variations of “beef with noodles and vegetables” and the “mac and cheese.”  Lillian Kurowski enjoyed “the oatmeal” while in Voyageurs.

After all of the prepping and planning is completed, it was finally time to go into the wilderness.  They spent hours of canoeing, fishing, portaging, and setting up new home bases.  When they did have a spare second, they enjoyed the down time to rest and connect with the other participants.  Schulte’s favorite down time activity was talking amongst friends.  Jobin’s was Eno-ing in the trees with everyone and making friendship bracelets, as well as late night talking sessions in tents.  Kurowski enjoyed reading, fishing …and sleeping!

The trip was not always sunshine and rainbows.  They faced many bumps in the road along the way.  Some that weren’t out of their control, and others that were.  Kurowski touches on the low water levels that her group experienced.  Saying that it “created longer portages and lack of water to drink.”  The weather is unpredictable, especially when there for an entire  month.

The voyagers made many memories with this opportunity and with the people who also went. 

Megann said,  “I honestly don’t think I can pick a favorite memory, because I loved every part.  One of my top ones though I would say is when we finished the trip and we realized what we had just done.” 

Grace says with a laugh that her favorite day was a trio day: “We were supposed to travel 30 km, and we found a waterfall that was the supposed end point, but realized that we had 23 km to go and that the waterfall was the wrong one.”

The three interviewees all shared their positive and life-changing experiences from the Les Voyageurs program.  If you would like to be involved with their program visit the LesVoyageurs website or contact them at 320-250-2045.

The views on the Voyageurs trip were unlike anything else and created memories to last a lifetime (photo used with permission of Lillian Kurowski).