Career role of a physical therapist

Carson Thorstenson
Custom canva shows a physical therapist assessing patients range of motion. ( Picture used under the creative commons license).

The position of physical therapist (PT) is a crucial position in the rehabilitation process of patients who had surgery or a serious injury. However PTs do a lot more than just take people through exercises to help them get more mobile, and get their strength back. 

Starting with schooling, PTs need a doctorate of physical therapy degree (DPT). These programs require a bachelor’s degree and a DPT program lasts around three years. Physical therapist programs often include courses in biomechanics, neuroscience, and pharmacology. Physical therapist students also complete clinical work, during which they gain supervised experience in areas such as acute care and orthopedic care. Physical therapists may apply to a clinical residency program after graduation. Residencies typically last about one year and provide additional training and experience in specialty areas of care. Physical therapists who have completed a residency program may choose to specialize further by participating in a fellowship in an advanced clinical area.

The statistics within the PT field have been on the rise the past few years as there has been a fifteen percent increase in job outlook. This is a very fast rate of growth compared to normal increases. The median annual wage for physical therapists was $97,720 in May 2022. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $67,910, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $128,830. In May 2022, the median annual wages for physical therapists in the top industries in which they worked were as follows: Home health care services earn $105,130 on average, Nursing and residential care facilities earn $101,910 on average, Hospitals: state local and private earn $101,440 on average, and offices of physical, occupational and speech therapists earn $86,610 on average. Most physical therapists work full time. Although most therapists work during normal business hours, some work evenings or weekends.

Physical therapists spend much of their time on their feet, working with patients. Because they must often lift and move patients, they are vulnerable to back injuries. Physical therapists can limit these risks by using proper body mechanics and lifting techniques when assisting patients. Another aspect of the job is coming up with training plans for patients. This also means adapting these plans as patients go through the rehabilitation process.

Physical therapists use a variety of techniques to care for their patients. These techniques include exercises; training in functional movement, which may include the use of equipment such as canes, crutches, wheelchairs, and walkers; and special movements of joints, muscles, and other soft tissue to improve mobility and decrease pain. The work of physical therapists varies by type of patient. For example, a patient working to recover mobility lost after a stroke needs care different from that of a patient recovering from a sports injury. Some physical therapists specialize in one type of care, such as orthopedics or geriatrics.

Many physical therapists also help patients maintain or improve mobility by developing fitness and wellness programs that encourage healthy, active lifestyles. A similar occupation is athletic trainer. The athletic trainer will take the patient through the workout that the PT designs.

Do the different sectors of physical therapy have different responsibilities? Absolutely, for example in a hospital setting, nursing home, or a rehabilitation facility, you will share information and coordinate your treatment plan with a variety of care providers on site such as physicians, nurses, occupational therapists, speech therapists, or physical therapy assistants. If you work in an outpatient clinic, you will also communicate with the patient’s primary care provider to develop and modify treatment plans. You may also work in conjunction with a massage therapist, or you may supervise a physical therapy assistant or exercise specialist as well.

Another great example is Physical therapists and occupational therapists. Both work in rehabilitation therapy and use many of the same skills. Their jobs may seem similar, but they are quite different. Physical therapists help people improve their movement and manage their pain, whereas occupational therapists focus on helping patients develop or regain the skills needed for daily tasks so they can function independently. For example, an occupational therapist might help a child develop the skills needed to grow up independently, or a stroke victim learn how to get dressed and avoid fall hazards; or they might help someone with multiple sclerosis get comfortable using a wheelchair and bathroom safety devices so they can keep living at home even when their physical abilities have changed. In the course of treatment, some patients will work with both a physical therapist and an occupational therapist. Each of these roles provides similar but distinct functions in helping people recover and perform the activities that are essential for daily life.

You will draw on many different disciplines to perform your job duties in physical therapy. You’ll apply knowledge of anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, neuroscience, pharmacology, cardiovascular and pulmonary systems, and other areas. To succeed as a physical therapist, you’ll also need to be an effective communicator and have strong interpersonal skills to motivate your patients and provide compassionate care. On average, physical therapists tend to spend more one-on-one time with patients than many other types of healthcare practitioners, so building trust and positive rapport is essential.

Physical therapy is a great field to go into but is a little over saturated currently. It is constantly evolving so you will always have new research to do, and it will keep you on your feet. It is a very one-on-one based career so this may be a great field if you have strong communication skills.