Inside the minds of sabre wrestlers

Sabre wrestlers share their goals and thoughts coming into the 2023-2024 season
Riley Kloetzer
Sartell High School has a mat room where all of the wrestling takes place.

With the 2023-2024 wrestling season right around the corner, the Sabre wrestling team has been putting in a lot of preparation this off-season in order to dominate the competition this year.

Freshman Chloe Wehry is, at the moment, the only Sabre female wrestler on the high school team. After holding an official record of 8-3 halfway through the 2022-2023 season at the 107 pound weight class, she unfortunately had her season cut short due to an elbow injury during a practice.

To prepare for her next season, she has some specific training she has been working on: “I have been working on driving harder on my takedowns.”

Peyton Allen scores some back points on captain Theo Brown during a practice match. (Parker Peichel)

Sophomore Peyton “Skyscraper” Allen is a 6’7″ phenom, and a power house at the 195 pound weight class last season. After boasting a record of 16-20 in the regular season, he took 3rd in the section tournament.

The section tournament only qualifies the top 2 placers into the State Tournament so Peyton is very hungry to crack into that top spot: “My goal this year is to make it to the State Tournament.”

Junior Sam Connor is a veteran of the Sabre wrestling team, being one of the most experienced wrestlers on the team. Last year Sam held a record of 5-6 at the 220 pound weight class.

Sam’s experience and years in the sport outshine most of the other athletes in Sartell: “I’ve been wrestling for over 12 years.”

Senior and one of the captains of the team Aidan Halvorson had a breakout year in the 2023-2024 season going 10-29 in his first year on varsity at the 160 pound weight class, which is an impressive feat.

Aidan’s weight class has been a hot topic for some in the off season since he is dropping a weight class from 160 down to 152 this year: “I’m probably going to try and make it to 152 (pounds) after Christmas this year.”

Aidan Halvorson catches Tyler Freese in a front head position during a practice match. (Parker Peichel)