New Sartell High School levy for learning fails

Hunter Boelz

Sartell’s Levy for Learning fails on the November 6th ballot.

November 6th, 2018 was a crucial day for the Sartell School District and the future of the new high school that is set to open in 2019.

A levy for funds to operate the school was put on the ballot for all 11 precincts of the Sartell area to vote on. As the votes rolled in, a winner was decided and the residents spoke deciding that they did not support the levy.

This is not the first levy that Sartell residents voted on; back in May, 2016 residents voted on a referendum to provide funding for the schools that would benefit ISD 748. Included in this would be a new high school, changes to the school system (grades 4-6 building and grades 6-8 building), and overall improvements across the whole district to the buildings.

This referendum passed barely by a vote of  2,281 Yes votes to 2,034 No votes (52.9% Yes and 47.1% No). With the vote passing, construction would initiate on the new school and plans were formed on the timeline of improving the other schools. This was only one part of the referendum stage; the second stage would be introduced on the 2018 ballots.

On November 6th, 2018, the second part of the referendum was set forth to the public and put up to the people and their votes. The levy asked for an increase in property tax to fund the operation of the new high school and maintenance of it as well. The current amount that was charged was approximately $325 per student in the district but the new levy would increase that amount to around $720 per student over the next 10 years.

The vote was placed on the ballot for the citizens of Sartell to put their input on an increase in property tax to fund the new high school. As the votes all tallied in a clear winner was decided and the citizens had spoken on the matter. The levy would fail with 4924 No votes and 3230 Yes votes (60.4% No and 39.6% Yes).

SHS parent Joel Wollum put his input on the school levy stating that:

I wish they would have combined the price points instead of having two referendums.

— Joel Wollum

SHS student Luke Jones stated that he and his family did not have a really strong stance on the matter because they plan to move in the future.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Current SHS principal Brenda Steve also chimed in on the issue.

Q:  As an administrator, was it tough to see the levy not pass?
A: 
was disappointed that the levy did not pass.

Q: At this moment is there anything that is planned that will be cut to make some funds available?
A: Not at this time. The school board has not met since the levy vote, so they have not had a chance to plan for the future.

Q: It was stated before that the move to the new school will still happen? Is that still planned and will normally function continue at the new school?
A: We will be moving to the new high school in the fall of 2019 and normal function will continue.

Q: Was there anything that you wish was done differently with the whole levy process?
A: The district tried their best to get information out to the public through informational meetings, district mailings, and social media. The superintendent and school board will meet with district-level staff to evaluate the process that was used.

With the vote failing, the school will not have the funds readily available to run the current schools and perform general maintenance on the new high school. Students will still move into the new school in 2019 but the administration will have to find ways to save some money to pay for the expenses that come with running a building. For more information as the situation further develops, you can read the following links:

Related Links:

Proposed plan/flyer on school levy
Election results
Levy for learning plan
Q/A