Sartell-St. Stephen searches for a superintendent

The Sartell School Board began superintendent hiring process in December 2023 to find their next permanent hire.
Parker Peichel
The search for a new superintendent starts with these three candidates.
The first Superintendent prospect to be interviewed: Tim Rohweder. (Photo submitted by MSBA)

The first interview the board conducted during the first round was with Proctor secondary school principal, Timothy Rohweder.

Rohweder began his educational career as a middle school social studies teacher and football coach. He would go on to teach for four years until he was tapped on the shoulder and asked to be an intervention specialist in ISD 704 in 2011. Two years later, he became the assistant principal of their 6-12 secondary school. Fast forward another year and once more he would be up for another promotion, this time as the secondary school principal.

He earned his superintendent license from the University of Minnesota – Duluth in 2019.

Trust is truth over time.”

— Tim Rohweder on an important aspect of school culture

The second superintendant prospect to be interviewed: Dr. Kurt Stumpf. (Photo submitted by MSBA)

The second person to be interviewed was Dr. Kurt Stumpf. Stumpf is familiar with the area as he was an administrator at the middle for seven years here at Sartell.

Stumpf started his educational career as a math teacher in Holdingford and then Pierz.  He was also a coach for volleyball and basketball. He transitioned to dean of students in Little Falls for the 2011-2012 school year.  He then came to Sartell.

Stumpf was the Superintendent at Jaynesville-Waldorf-Pemberton and is currently in that position at Pequot Lakes. Stumpf wants to prioritize leadership and relationships if he were to get the job. Along with his past superintendent experience, the school board seemed pleased with Stumpf’s ideas on what a school culture should look like and his professionalism.

Be willing to ask questions and listen.”

— Dr. Kurt Stumpf on what it takes to be a good superintendent

The third superintendent prospect to be interviewed: Dr. Michael Rivard. (Photo submitted by MSBA)

The last person to be interviewed was Dr. Michael Rivard. Rivard also is quite familiar with the area as both his children have attended school in Sartell.  Dr. Rivard has lived in the area for over twenty years.  Rivard has a military background and has 25 years of experience in his educational career.

Rivard currently is the assistant superintendent of the St. Cloud School District. He’s spent the last 14 years in an administrative role. Rivard’s goal if he were to get the job is to have great communication and his plan to achieve that goal is to be transparent and available.

Be open and supportive.”

— Dr. Michael Rivard on his ideal school culture

Sartell High School junior and student committee member Bennett Prose has been actively following the superintendent search. (Parker Peichel)

Bennett was at the first round of interviews, listening intently. He is an active school board meeting attendee.  Overall, Bennett felt happy with all the candidates despite having a concern or two for each one. Bennett was excited to talk about the search for our next superintendent.

I was fairly impressed, they all have strengths and I have faith in the board to choose somebody to lead and represent the district and students.”

— Student committee member and SHS junior Bennett Prose on first impressions of the candidates

I was also able to interview an SHS senior and student council member Linsey Nelson. Lindsey was very happy about the candidates, specifically Dr. Rivard.

I’m so thrilled for future students to have a superintendent who is responsive and engaged in our community.”

— Lindsey Nelson on her thoughts about the candidates.

All three prospects received a second interview, and it is likely the final decision will be made on March 11th. For more information on the candidates above you can visit wjon.com.