Where are they now? Marcus Oistad

After attending Bethel University, Marcus Oistad a Sartell high school graduate was drawn back to Sartell High School. With plans of being a high school teacher and starting a family with his high school sweetheart, Mr Oistad found that Sartell would be the perfect place for him. finding his love for teaching through being a student volunteer for Ms. Keller a middle school teacher, he always knew being a teacher was who he wanted to be. However, Oistad never imagined teaching at the high school he attended as a kid. Today Oistad isn’t only a teacher at Sartell but also a coach for basketball, football, and tennis.

While attending Sartell Oistad was a multi-sport athlete competing in football basketball and tennis. the memories made and life skills he was able to develop through sports are what pushed him to continue playing football into college when he attended Bethel University. For 3 of the 4 years he attended college, Oisted played football but when he wasn’t on the field he was studying to be a teacher. Oistad knew that teachers can have massive impacts on students’ lives through connections made between students and teachers. after seeing this happen through Ms. Keller and her students, Oistand wanted the same connections with his students when he started to teach at Sartell.

Its just all the experiences the fun times with your teammates. Being able to celebrate big moments, big victories, but the time together. The commodore it’s something that you don’t always get after athletics is done for you.

— Marcus Oistad

I stopped playing football after my junior year because I knew I wanted to get involved into coaching.

— Marcus Oistad

Being both a teacher and a coach at Sartell, Oistad is able to make connections with students in the classroom and on the court. leading his students and his players both on and off the court is a huge reason why Oistad is able to have the impact he does on the students of Sartell. For Oistad, being a Sabre isn’t just about being the student’s teacher.

From growing up as a sabre to being both a teacher and a coach for the current students of Sartell, Mr, Oistad has an interesting Outlook on what it means to him to be a sabre as he stated. “I think for me Sartell has been a huge part of my life, I value the time that I’ve had here as a student and a teacher. now it’s hard to imagine being anywhere else. to be a sabre represents a sense of unity a sense of comradery and a sense of belonging at Sartell. I could never imagine being anywhere but Sartell. I continue to want to help build our programs better academically and athletically.”