Teacher of the Week: Ms. Fosteson

The+highlighted+teacher+this+week+is+our+very+own+social+studies+star+%26+Sartell+alumni%2C+Autumn+Fosteson.+
photo used with permission from Autumn Fosteson
The highlighted teacher this week is our very own social studies star & Sartell alumni, Autumn Fosteson.

This week’s Teacher of the Week highlight is Autumn Fostenson, highlighting what she does at Sartell High School, and what she does outside of the SHS walls.

Ms. Fosteson can be found in the front of the upper Meadows wing of SHS. She currently teaches Social Studies, World History, and Human Geography. In the spring she will be teaching Economics and Government classes. 

Fosteson coaches the girls softball team. This photo was taken after their big win at the conference tournament this summer. Sartell alumni ‘Ella Hanson’ also assistant coaches the girls’ softball team. (photo used with permission from Ms. Fosteson)

People sometimes want to know why a teacher decided to become a teacher. It’s not like teaching is a great job for everyone and it’s not like just anyone can do it. 

Ms. Fosteson was a Sartell grad (go class of ’17) and now she’s back to teach future alumni. (Used with permission from Ms. Fosteson)

Fosteson recalls, “Rob Notch who used to teach here, I had him for AP Chem and we had to do fourth-grade demos in that class. It wasn’t even on my radar until then. I did my fourth-grade demos and I got really into it apparently, he told me it was something I should really think about, and that’s where it all started.”

Is Fosteson teaching what she wants to be teaching here? She has a pretty diverse schedule but there’s always hope to teach a dream class. 

“That’s a really good question, I would probably teach Tech Ed and be like “a Schulte”, be a Tech Ed teacher, I also have a minor in English, so maybe that.”

Fosteson always stays very busy while teaching at school. She not only teaches, but she directs plays, coaches speech, and stays super busy doing other projects.  

Fosteson’s adorable little dog Ozzi is a Yorkie, and she’s been Ozzi’s dog mom since last year (photo used with permission from Ms. Fosteson)
Fosteson’s dog Jaxx, who is a golden retriever, cuddles with his beloved elephant ‘Horton.’ (photo used with permission from Ms. Fosteson)

She says, “I don’t have a lot of time outside of school, I help with the fall play and I also coach. I spend a lot of time reading by myself, with my dogs, and I like the travel a lot, my siblings live in a bunch of different places so I go to see them, see my nieces and nephews.” 

Q: Off the top of your head, what is a quote that you live by?

A: “I don’t love to win, I hate to lose.” 

Q: If you were to pursue another career, what would it be?

A: “If you would have asked me when I was a junior in high school, I would have said Engineering, I was really set on being a chemical engineer, but I also really heavily considered going for film scoring, so something in film production, I like the behind the scenes stuff. I wanted to do something creative, I think I would have been bored as an engineer.”

BONUS FUN FACT: Most of Fosteson’s tattoos have been drawn by her students.