Industrial Tech teacher, Joe Schulte, shares his story

The world is large, and many of the Sabre star athletes from years ago have left and started their lives elsewhere. Some though stayed close to home, like Joseph Schulte. He shared great insight into his college experience and what it means to be a Sabre.

He was in high school from 1994-1997. He was a state athlete in football, swimming, and baseball. Schulte was a breaststroke swimmer in his high school years making it to state. However, he didn’t make it all four years. He shared how he missed his senior year at state.

So I made state my junior year, I missed state my senior year by three one-hundredths of a second. You can’t even start and stop a stopwatch in three one-hundredths of a second.

— Joe Schulte

After high school, Schulte was given opportunities to swim at a college level. But he says that he was scared out of it. It is no secret that competition at a college level is tough, and the training is more intense and exhausting. He says that he made the time for college but with the increase in training, he wasn’t as committed.

Like we swim 7,000 you know, maybe peak at 10,000 and they’re doing 8,000 to start maybe swim in 12,000 like more intense and I was scared off by that.

— Joe Schulte

After high school, he went to college at St. Cloud State University.  He joined the College of Education there and earned an undergraduate degree in education.  He started out teaching at Apollo, then moved back to where he started: Sartell.

This past school year, he was a Minnesota Teacher of the Year finalist.  He made it to the top 11.