Sartell suitcase: Costa Rica

Our high school offers multiple school trips, including Costa Rica!
Hannah Diekman

This past summer, Sartell students had the opportunity to travel across the globe to explore different cultures and places.  

Approximately 50 students, parental chaperones, and teachers went on the Costa Rica school trip. (Hannah Diekman)

Sartell High School offers trips through the school to give students opportunities they can’t experience by reading a textbook.  Teachers Sra. Driste, Sra. Madrigal, and Sra. Massman put in countless hours of effort and communication to allow approximately 50 parental chaperones, students, and teachers for a nine day trip to Costa Rica this past June.  

View while eating breakfast in Manuel Antonio at the Costa Verde hotel. (Hannah Diekman)

Costa Rica is a country that relies heavily on their tourism, offering countless tours and attractions.  It’s geography varies from mountains to forests to beaches.  It’s a country perfect for all different types of people.

The trip allowed students to see all different kinds of animals, like sloths (national animal of Costa Rica), scorpions, snakes, spiders, toucans, monkeys, caiman, and so many more.  Groups got to witness many of these during the Night Walk Tour.  It was 1 ½ hours of walking through the mystifying forest with a tour guide and flashlight looking for Costa Rican wildlife.  Students also got to ride on a boat tour with a humorous guide pointing out animals as they floated down the river in Caño Negro.

Food in Costa Rica consists of many servings of seasoned rice and beans, since it is so abundant and cheap to make.  Also, variations of fruit and watermelon juice were served at every meal.  The group got to take a tour of cocoa on the Don Olivo Chocolate Tour, as well as taste starfruit, mango, and clementines that they grow at the location.

Costa Rica has countless beaches and lakes throughout the country to fit their diverse landscapes.  Sartell students were able to go kayaking on Lake Arenal in Monteverde in pairs with a breathtaking view of a volcano on the other side of the lake.  Swimming in the lake felt just like Minnesota, but with a view that is indescribable.  The beach that the group visited was a Costa Rican national park, called Manuel Antonio.  Travelers were able to see tiny hermit crabs appeared out of nowhere, waves were powerful enough to push people over, and monkeys that are more than ready to snatch your belongings if unsupervised.

Playing soccer with a local elementary school during their recess. (Hannah Diekman)

On this trip, students were also able visit a local elementary school.  Soccer ball, school supplies, books, and toys were brought as gifts from the group.  The kids loved them, and instantly challenged Sartellians to a round of soccer or jump rope.  No one kept score, so suffice to say,  the score was close.

Other fun activities included going snorkeling in the ocean, going on the longest zip line in Costa Rica which is close to a mile long, and taking a step of bravery with the Tarzan swing.

If you are interested in participating in a school trip to Peru next summer, there is an informational meeting on November 17th.  Meet in C206 at 6PM, and contact Ms. Heinen if you have any questions.  Stay tuned for future articles about school trips from this past summer!