2018 in review

January 2, 2019

2018 was a year of many memorable events, some good and some bad. Here are a few honorable mentions.

In February, there was a shooting at Douglas Stoneman High School in Florida. 17 people were confirmed dead, and there were a number of others injured. It was one of the 10 deadliest shootings that year. The shooter was identified as a student from the high school, Nikolas Cruz. After the shooting, students started speaking out about their disappointments in the lack of gun laws. To read more about the story, read this article about this topic from SHS alum, Kassy Markey.

Stephen Hawking died at the age of 76 in March of this year. Stephen impacted the world greatly with his scientific discoveries. He was also a very well known people person. If you want to read more about the legacy that Stephen left behind, check out this article by last years graduate, Jaeger Johnson.

Hurricane Florence swept through the east coast early September, destroying thousands of homes, leaving extreme flooding in North and South Carolina, and killing almost 35 people. Along with the hurricane came intense flooding and destruction. Celebrities and people from the community came together to help with cleanup and first aid help. To read more about Hurricane Florence, look at this article by Rachel Ditmarson 

Brett Kavanaugh was accused of sexual assault by Christine Blasey Ford. This sparked a lot of controversy between the #Metoo movement and Kavanaugh supporters. Regardless of this, he was confirmed to the supreme court. To read more on some of the effects of this, read this article.

Another shooting took place in a Chicago hospital where four people were killed. This caused more backlash to the lack of gun laws. To read more about the shooting and the effects it had, check out this article by Sartell senior Emma Rasmussen.

Midterm elections were big for women this year. More than 100 women were elected to the house of representatives, the first LGBTQ woman was elected to Congress, and there were many other firsts for diversity. To read more about the firsts that came from this year’s midterm election, look at this information packed article by Sartell senior, Laurel Nebosis.

Michael Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison for campaign finance violations, lying to Congress, and tax evasion. Donald Trump also spoke publicly about this calling him a “rat” sparking even more controversy. To read more about the details of this debacle, read this article by Sartell senior, Hunter Boelz.

Rachel Ditmarson, Journalist

Rachel Ditmarson is a senior at Sartell High School. She enjoys making collages and cutting her bangs, only to regret it the next day. Rachel is notorious...

The LeSabre • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in