Florida tragedy: one week later

Florida tragedy: one week later

There has already been 18 school shootings this year, the latest being in Florida at Marjory Douglas Stoneman High School. With this shooting, 3 of the 10 deadliest mass shootings in the United States have been in the past five months, according to the New York Times. As of this morning, 17 people are confirmed dead with multiple more injured.

So far this year, the United States has seen 30 mass shootings (18 of which were at schools) and 1,827 gun related deaths.

The Marjory Douglas Stoneman shooter has been identified as Nikolas Cruz (19). He was a former student at the high school but was expelled for “disciplinary issues” and never graduated.

Cruz first pulled the fire alarm to let the students out. When the students were walking out, he walked in, blending in with them, when he started to open fire. Cruz used a semiautomatic rifle, an AR-15, which was purchased legally.

One of the victims was football coach, Aaron Feis. He died from blocking students from bullets. Multiple students have also died; some of them are Jaime Guttenberg, Martin Duque (14) and Alyssa Alhadeff.

It has been one week since the mass shooting at the Florida high school. Since then many students have gone out and spoken out about gun violence.

One speech that was particularly popular was Emma Gonzalez. Emma spoke about how gun laws haven’t changed and that mental health cannot be the only topic talked about.

It has only been one week and these students and survivors are already doing more than people in Washington.

Funerals for some of those slain, are planned for this week:  Alaina Petty, age 14, Luke Hoyer, age 15, and Cara Loughran, age 14.

As the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and other investigative authorities thought, there have been copycats. In other Florida schools, two students have been taken into custody after making “disturbing” statements on the bus. The students have been taken out of school and put into mental health facilities.

Florida state legislators proposed a bill to ban semi-automatic rifles. The ban did not pass with a deciding vote of 71-36. The students saw this as a loss as “heartbreaking”.

It seemed almost heartless how they immediately pushed the button to say no.”

— Sheryl Acquaroli, 16, a junior at Stoneman Douglas.

Nikolas Cruz, as of now, will be sentenced with 17 counts of premeditated murder.