Many teens struggle with negative impacts from social media. (Canva by Reese Kloetzer)
Many teens struggle with negative impacts from social media.

Canva by Reese Kloetzer

C.D.C reports on teen sadness

Teenagers speak up about why young people are reporting record levels of hopelessness.

March 22, 2023

According to a recent study conducted by the C.D.C called the Youth Risk Behavior Survey, young people are reporting record levels of hopelessness, which is a cause of concern for many. The survey found that teenagers are experiencing feelings of sadness, anxiety, and hopelessness at an alarming rate.

The released survey was given out to 17,000 adolescents at high schools across the United States in the fall of 2021, nearly three in five teenage girls felt persistent sadness in 2021, double the rate of boys, and one in three girls seriously considered attempting suicide. The data also showed high levels of violence, depression, and suicidal thoughts among lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth.

The results of the survey did not come as a surprise to many students, as they have been experiencing these emotions firsthand. Teenagers are facing an array of challenges in their lives, such as academic pressure, social media, relationships, family problems, and societal issues like discrimination, bullying, and gun violence.

The Covid-19 pandemic has also significantly impacted the mental health of young people. The pandemic has forced many teenagers to face isolation, loss, and uncertainty, which can be particularly challenging for those already struggling with mental health issues.

Social media may also play a huge part in this as well. The kids of this generation are losing the ability to engage in meaningful social interactions. They have difficulty picking up the phone to make a call and have trouble with face-to-face contact. Social media can create unrealistic expectations and social comparisons that can lead to feelings of inadequacy, low self- esteem, and depression. It can also provide an environment for bullying, which can lead to feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression.

It is extremely important to recognize and address the factors that contribute to the rising levels of hopelessness and mental health problems among young people. Schools, families, and communities can provide support and resources to help teenagers cope with their emotions and navigate their challenges. Additionally, seeking professional help and therapy can also be beneficial for those struggling with mental health issues.

Photo of Reese Kloetzer
Reese Kloetzer, Journalist

Grade: Senior

Hobbies: Playing soccer, traveling, shopping

Nickname: Reesie Puffs or Puff

Future College: Playing soccer at Post University

Favorite...

The LeSabre • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in