Hailey Keske

The Art Club is a great outlet for you to express your creative side.

Art Club

Sartell High School has a variety of after school clubs and activities that any student can join. One of these clubs is the art club.

The art club has been around for many, many years. One of the current directors is Mr. Carlson who is also an art teacher. This is his first year teaching art here at SHS but not his first year directing an art club.

Mr. Carlson stated, “I was a director at Foley for 16 years, and then I’ve directed here for one year.”

The art club takes a variety of trips and offers many different after-school activities that any student can choose whether or not they want to participate in.

“It’s a student led organization and if the club is very active they do 6-8 outside activities and the least amount is four,” Mr. Carlson said.

Since the art club is student led the club doesn’t have scheduled meetings every week or every month. They only meet when necessary and the majority of art students have to agree to it. One of the art club’s biggest trips they are planning is one that will take place next year. They along with the baking club will be traveling to Japan. This trip is student funded and the first meeting took place on February 16th.

There are three specific trips that the art club tries to take every single year. Mr. Carlson explained, “We try and go to a college every year, an art studio every year, and a major art museum every year.”

Though the art club may just seem like a fun after school club it’s really trying to prepare future artists. Mr. Carlson stated that, “The art club prepares future professional artists. Young artists practice being professional artists…teaching them different art skills through exhibitions and other out-of-school activities.”

The art club really tries to round out artists in the making by exposing them to many different kinds of art styles and techniques through the exhibitions and activities that the club experiences outside of school.

One of the ways students can really put their art out there is entering it into art contests. Every art club student creates two different art pieces and the art club directors enter them into a local art contest of sorts. Then students have an opportunity to win cash prizes and for their art or even go to state where it will be judged against other students’ art from all around the state.

Now you might be thinking “WOW. The art club really sounds like a great opportunity to expand my creative skills. But how can I join?” Joining is probably the simplest part.

“Any student can join the art club by asking any art teacher and getting signed up for the Schoology course.” Mr. Carlson said.

There is no fee to sign up and you can choose the art events you want to participate in. There are even over 100 students signed up this year. So if you’re looking for a way to enhance your artistic abilities and meet others with that same goal and passion the art club might just be for you.  

The LeSabre • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in