Students reveal their hobbies and how COVID-19 has affected them. (Emilie Houge)
Students reveal their hobbies and how COVID-19 has affected them.

Emilie Houge

Humans of Sartell: What our students are into

02.09.21

February 19, 2021

Sartell students were interviewed at Sartell High School on February 8th, 2021 to reveal their hobbies and

how COVID-19 has affected them and their families.

Tierney Hammer

Tierney Hammer playing Zaneeta Shinn in The Music Man. (Photo via Tierney Hammer)

“Being in theatre, COVID-19 has really affected me. Our last show was completely on zoom which was really hard to do. We had no bonding, it was really hard to hear each other, and it was just outright weird having to record our production instead of performing it. However, what motivates me to still continue theatre in this uncertain time is that it is still keeping up my acting skills. I found my passion for theatre from participating in the Nutcracker with Minnesota Ballet, which was more acting than dancing. I danced for 12 years, but I loved the acting aspect of it and got myself more involved with Great Theatre. I eventually quit dance and solely focused on theatre. Now, I aspire to move to New York after high school and pursue an acting career; my ultimate goal is to be on Broadway. If I had to give one piece of advice to younger kids whose goal is the same as mine, I would say to not give up because it can get hard to try to memorize a script or get a character that you really wanted. Nevertheless, just keep going and you will get where you want to be.”

Jacinta Schelonka

“As a ninth-grader, my transition from middle school to high school was not that hard other than the nerve-wracking first new days of school. I am most looking forward to being able to meet new people throughout high school, try new things, and get that once-in-a-lifetime high school experience. I plan on doing track this year, but my main sport is snowboarding which I have been doing for four years. It is definitely hard to learn- it took me two years- but now I go as much as I can and I cannot get enough of it! When I am older, I really want to be a surgeon, a cardiothoracic surgeon specifically. However, anything in the medical field will suit me- just like my brother who is going to school to be a physical therapist. I am not looking forward to the years of school it takes, but I think I can do it!

Jacinta Schelonka snowboarding at Powder Ridge in Kimball, Minnesota. (Photo via Jacinta Schelonka)

Theodore Edeburn

Theodore Edeburn and his oldest brother fishing for bass. (Photo via Theodore Eleburn)

“I am a huge fisherman. I love to fish, more so open water fishing than ice fishing. I am a part of the fishing team between Sartell and Sauk Rapids; however, due to COVID-19, all our meetings have gone virtual. I still go fishing with my friends, but again, it is hard with COVID. COVID has also affected my abilities to see my family. I can’t see my grandparents as much anymore and my oldest brother is a nurse in the cities, so I can’t really see him much as he deals firsthand with COVID patients. What matters the most though is that they are all staying safe. My other brother is in his last year of school at St. John’s, and that is also where my oldest brother graduated from; I am interested in following their footsteps as they have influenced my life a lot. They played football, and I did play football in the past. They also taught me my love for fishing- we fish for bass mostly. I was basically inspired by the things they did.”

About the Contributor
Photo of Emilie Houge
Emilie Houge, Journalist

Grade: Senior

Hobbies: Softball, running, watching sports and Netflix with my family, playing guitar, singing, and baking cookies.

Where I Will...

The LeSabre • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in