The lowdown on a groovy season for the Sartell Sabre Dance Team

Aili Swenson

The Sartell Sabre Dance Team has a season for the books and they can’t wait to see what is in store for them.

After the Sartell Dance Teams Annual Showcase, the girls have been working hard to prepare for the Competition season. Taking a look into the season so far…

My favorite memory would be nights spent in the hotel during dance camp

— Junior Allison Kempenich

Their first competition was at ROCORI High school for their first CLC competition of the season. There they competed against seven other teams. Varsity Kick got their groove on and placed 1st in the competition that evening. Varsity Jazz leaped their way to second place and JV kick gave us a show and placed second that night.

The following weekend the girls got on a bus and traveled up to Eastview that Saturday. It was an eventful weekend for the girls there. We got to see some of our huge competitors that weekend. Varsity Jazz placed fourth in the competition and Varsity Kick placed third. It was the first time that JV jazz was able to compete in the season and they ended up taking fifth place. JV kick had so much energy when dancing and took third.

My fav memory is when we won first at CLC for JV jazz.

— Sophomore Jenna Rahal

Our Varsity Jazz was lucky enough to be invited to perform at the Best of the Best showcase that the University of Minnesota Dance team puts on every year. So the whole team got to travel up to the cities that night and watch all of the college dance teams and high school dance teams show off their dances. The day after the team got back on the bus and traveled up to Edina High school for another competition. Edina was another big competition for the girls. The girls left their hearts on the dance floor that day. They placed second in Varsity Kick, and fourth in varsity jazz. JV placed fourth in jazz and fifth in a kick and the Edina Invite.

This past Friday night the girls competed at the Sauk Rapids-Rice High School for the Central Lakes Conference Championships. Both Varsity teams placed first and then JV jazz also placed first. The girls were able to win the championship for CLC this year.

The next few weeks are gonna be busy for the girls with the Wayzata invite which will be the last competition for the Sartell Sabers JV dance team. After Wayzata, the girls are gonna work their butts off in order to get ready for sections.

[My favorite memory is] Team dinners at Granite City on the way to state.

— Senior Captain Alexis Decker