Society’s disproportionate views on girls’ bodies

Photo is from BBC News

Riley O’Keefe, a freshman at Bartram Trail High School in Florida whose yearbook photo was edited.

American schools are still sexualizing and shaming girls’ bodies. A high school in Florida had a yearbook faculty alter and edit about 80 girls’ pictures to cover their bodies without their consent. 

When you look at the edits of the girls’ pictures you can tell they are very poorly done. Girls would have black bars or the pattern of their shirts covering across their chests and shoulders or wherever they showed too much skin. 

By altering these photos, it is not protecting them.  It not only affects these girls’ photos, it makes them feel uncomfortable and are not accepting of their bodies. CBS provided a quote from a freshman named Riley O’Keefe that goes to the high school in Florida whose yearbook photo was edited.

The double standard in the yearbook is more so that they looked at our body and thought just a little bit of skin showing was sexual. But then they looked at the boys, for the swim team photos and other sports photos and thought that was fine, and that’s really upsetting and uncomfortable.”

— Riley O'Keefe

It’s not just this one-time yearbook incident; it has been an ongoing problem. Outcomes of these incidents happening causes girls to feel humiliated and ashamed of themselves. Girls have been told that their bodies are distracting and have a more restrictive dress code compared to boys.