Sabre Trap Team is always an adventure

This+is+one+of+the+many++squads+on+the+trap+team%3B+Freshman+Adam+Stark%2C+Freshman+Brennan+Bailey%2C+Junior+Annika+DeGier%2C+and+Junior+Colton+Kovacs+and+coach+Moe.+

Maliah Nemeth

This is one of the many squads on the trap team; Freshman Adam Stark, Freshman Brennan Bailey, Junior Annika DeGier, and Junior Colton Kovacs and coach Moe.

It’s a brisk, cold Saturday morning at Del-tone shooting range in Sauk Rapids, Minnesota.  You’re with your five favorite teammates.  You’re all lined up and ready to shoot at trap house number two.  Squad, ready? PULL!

The Sartell Trap Team is in full swing this season, and the LeSabre thinks you should know a little bit about this pretty awesome team-oriented sport.  

Trapshooting is shooting at clay pigeons sprung from a trap into the air away from the shooter. A clay pigeon is an orange, round saucer-shaped object made from baked clay. 

Before you shoot, you and your squad of five will line up in front of the trap house that you are assigned. The first shooter at trap one will say pull and then shoot the clay pigeon. Each shooter will take a turn and then after five shells are shot the scorer will say rotate, and then shooter one goes to station two and so on.  

Sartell had their very first trap team in 2015. There is one head coach, one assistant coach, and six volunteer coaches. 

Currently, the Trap Team has 61 shooters and 21 of them are brand new this season. 

The Trap captains for the 2021 season are seniors Mitchell Grahek, Ethan Gohmen, Ian Houle, Trina Schwinn, and Maliah Nemeth. 

It’s not just friends that are made in this sport, there are many memories made as well. 

This is am image of Sophomore Sarah Avery, Alumni Abby Starz, and Senior Maliah Nemeth (Maliah Nemeth )

Sarah Avery is a sophomore and has been a part of the team for two years. Her goal for this season is to shoot a 25 straight. Her favorite part of the team is improving her scores and her teammates. Sarah’s favorite memory is shooting at the State Shoot and scoring third in the state for novice.

Captain Ian Houle is a senior on the trap team. (Maliah Nemeth )

Ian Houle is a senior and has been a part of the trap team for four years. His goal for this season is to shoot a perfect 50 straight. His favorite part about being on the team is shooting guns. Ian’s favorite memory was at the fun shoot when they were having a competition. 

Captain Mitchell Grahek is also a senior and has been on the team for four years. (Maliah Nemeth )

Mitchell Grahek is a senior and has been a part of the team for four years. Mitchell has shot a perfect 25 straight. His goal this season is to make the MSHSL State Tournament. Mitchell’s favorite part about being on the team is that he loves being able to see himself improve and be surrounded by people who enjoy it as much as he does. His favorite memory of the trap team would be the huge MN Clay Target State Shoot in Alexandria. 

Junior Zach DuChene enjoys the Trap Team and has set some great goals for himself. (Maliah Nemeth)

Zachary DuChene is a junior and has been a part of the team for three years. Zachary’s goal for this season is to shoot his first 25 and stay on Varsity. His favorite part of being on the team is going out with some buddies and shooting guns. His favorite memory is going to state.

Sophomore Evan Windahl shot his very first 25 straight this season. (Maliah Nemeth )

Evan Windahl is a sophomore and has been a part of the team for three years. Evan got his very first 25 straight this season. Evan’s goal for this season was to shoot a 25 straight and he successfully completed this goal. His favorite part of being on the team is the uplifting atmosphere. His favorite memory is the first tourney in Alexandria he went to. He remembers seeing all the people there and realizing how big the sport was becoming.