Thoughts on SCSU have changed over time

St.Cloud+State+University+campus+directory+

Flickr

St.Cloud State University campus directory

St.Cloud State University  located in Saint Cloud, Minnesota, was founded in 1869 and was mostly attended by women. SCSU now offers more than 200 programs which makes it very easy to find a program that fits. Campus is mostly described as diverse and welcoming but, how has it changed over the years?

Tika Zimmerman, Freshman at SCSU (Linda Zimmerman)

Tika Zimmerman, from Alaska and current freshman at SCSU

How would you describe campus?
 “I would describe campus as somewhere that it’s hard not to run into somebody you know. I think the vibe is really good, I’ve never felt lonely or left out even moving here from a totally different state.” 

Do you feel like you’re getting a quality education? Explain.
I personally do not think I’m getting the quality education I’m paying for, due to Covid. Last semester, I only had one in-person class out of the five I took, and this semester I’m only meeting once per week in person and the second time that week I meet over zoom for my one and in-person class. It’s really hard to get a quality education when it’s all online.”

Would you say that you feel safe on campus? Explain.
I feel much safer on campus than I do anywhere else in Saint Cloud. Public Safety has blue boxes for emergency stations all over campus in case anything happens. The few times that I’ve had to walk alone at night due to coming back from work or whatever I’ve never felt unsafe.”

What’s your favorite thing about St.Cloud State?
 “I really like the diversity that Saint Cloud brings. It’s something that I never got in my hometown and part of the reason that I moved here to begin with. You’ll always find somebody with similar interests or honestly even ethnic background.”

Is there anything you would change about St.Cloud state?
“Although I feel perfectly safe on campus, my safety off-campus is something that I’ve definitely felt threatened in the past. I try to always have a group of at least three people with me when I’m off-campus even if it’s just going to the grocery store. Recently due to the whole Asian hate in America, I felt even more anxious to go off-campus. I feel that if Saint Cloud in general was a better place to be I would feel more safe.”

Angela Moxley, a childrens special education teacher (sydnney Mueller)

Angie Moxley attended SCSU from 1992 to 1998

How would you describe campus when you were enrolled?
 “It was a community almost, there were lots of things to do and it felt very safe. Lots of clubs and athletic opportunities for everyone and people were welcoming and helpful.” 

Everyone was so friendly I never wanted to leave.”

— Angie Moxley

Did you feel like you’re getting a quality education? Did that education set you up for success in the real world? Explain.

Yes, most of my classes were well planned out and very informative. I feel like after taking many diverse classes it taught me a lot about living and working in urban communities.”

Did you feel safe when you lived on campus?

Yes, living in the dorms felt like you were a part of a community that took care of each other. When I lived off campus I had very protective male friends who were like brothers to me and watched out for me.

How has campus changed if you have seen it recently?

“The houses are run down and I don’t feel very comfortable driving near campus because it has changed so much I wouldn’t even know where to go. I haven’t been there in quite some time but one thing that surprised me the most was the renovation of the library. “

Would you rather have gone to St.Cloud state now or when you originally went?

Originally went 100%, it is a different atmosphere and the campus doesn’t seem as welcoming. I would have never had the opportunity to play hockey because now it is a division 1 team instead of just a club team.

Elysia Peterson attended SCSU from 1998-2001 but then transferred to a different school.

Elysia Peterson (Dave Schwarz, St.Cloud times)

How would you describe campus when you were enrolled

“Very diverse ethnicity wise, very fun school that was very involved in student athletics.”

I feel like some of my classes were quality but not all of them. I think so mostly. 

“I didn’t live on campus.”

“Much more modernized as far as the set up. They have a lot more to offer.”

“When I originally went, it attracted more students at that time.”