A collage with Sartell teams that attended the 2021 State Tournament. (Emerson Dyer)
A collage with Sartell teams that attended the 2021 State Tournament.

Emerson Dyer

Minnesota State Tournament recap: Sartell athletics

April 5, 2021

Sartell winter athletics had a season that will go down in history with many teams and individuals advancing and placing at the 2021 State Tournament.

After all fall sports were not given the opportunity to advance to the State Tournament due to COVID-19, the very first sport to experience state for the 2020-2021 school year was Nordic Skiing. 

The tournament was held at Giant’s Ridge Golf and Ski Resort on March 11th. There were a total of 158 girls that competed at this year’s tournament. Sartell had two girls that advanced, Violet Steil and Annabelle Tauges.

Violet Steil ended the day with a finish in 72nd place and a time of 28:39.4. Annabelle Tauges landed 125th place ending with a time of 31:08.5.

The Sartell Kick team taking a celebratory picture right after being named State Champions. (Shannon Musatov)

Up next at state was dance team. The 12 teams that advanced in each class convened at Edina High School on March 12th to compete in Jazz and on March 13th to compete in Kick.

For Sartell, both the Jazz and the Kick team advanced and got to compete at state. Sartell’s Jazz placed 1st with a rank score of 3. The Kick team also took a 1st place finish with a rank score of 3.

The Sartell Jazz team holding up a 1 with their fingers after receiving a State Title for their first time. (Emerson Dyer)

There was a lot of history made this year for the Sartell Dance team and new records made for MSHSL history. This was the first time Sartell has received a State Title in Jazz. For Kick, this was Sartell’s fifth consecutive Kick State Title; that is the first time any kick team in MSHSL history has gotten a 5-peat. With these two titles, it also makes it the first time Sartell has ever been a Double-Champ.

The following weekend, March 18th-20th, was State for Boys’ Swimming and Diving. This year, Sartell’s team did really well with a few first place finishes and also All-American awards. The tournament was held at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center, University of Minnesota.

The Sartell Boys Swim team after placing 3rd at the State Tournament. (Hannah Mckeag)

The team took an overall 3rd place finish with a few standout individuals and relay teams that brought home the blue as well. 

In the 100 yard freestyle, senior Garrett Maras took first place with a 45.70second finish. The second place swimmer, Nicolas Welle, barely missed Maras coming in 0.35seconds behind him. 

Another relay team for Sartell got first, the 400 yard freestyle with seniors Jack Thomas, Carter Larson, Garrett Maras, and also freshman George Larson. They finished the relay with a winning time of 3:07.84. 

The 1st place 200 Yard Freestyle Relay team from Sartell. (Hannah Mckeag)

Sartell’s 200 yard freestyle relay team with seniors David Zhang, Carter Larson, Garrett Maras, and also freshman George Larson got 1st place with a final time of 1:25.15.

Along with these champions, there were many notable placements made for the Sartell Boys’ Swim Team. The 200 yard medley relay swam by a group of seniors, Peter Espelien, David Zhang, Beau Garman, and Jack Thomas, placed 2nd with a time of 1:38.84. During the 200 yard freestyle, senior, Carter Larson, placed 2nd with a final time of 1:42.81. Freshman, George Larson, swam in the 200 yard IM and took a 4th place finish with a time of 2:01.94. In the 50 yard freestyle, both David Zhang and Garrett Maras swam. Maras placed 2nd with a final time of 21.32 and Zhang placed 3rd behind Maras with a final time of 22.07. Senior, Jack Thomas, brought home a 3rd place medal with a final time of 54.30 in the 100 yard butterfly.

As stated before, Garrett Maras placed 1st in the 100 yard freestyle, but George Larson also swam in that event. He placed 4th with a time of 47.97. Senior, Carter Larson, placed 3rd in the 500 yard freestyle ending with a time of 4:46.39. Seniors, Jack Thomas and Peter Espelien both swam in the 100 yard backstroke. Thomas finished 2nd with a time of 52.55 and Espelien placed 8th with a time of 58.02. Senior, David Zhang, and junior Lance Anderson both swam in the 100 yard breaststroke. Zhang placed 5th with a time of 1:01.35 and Anderson placed 9th with a time of 1:04.39.

During the diving portion, David Binsfeld represented Sartell and placed 8th in the state.

Of the whole Sartell team, these 5 progressed to the State Wrestling Tournament. (Ethan Torgrimson)

The next sport to have their chance at the state tournament was wrestling. Sartell’s team had 5 people that advanced after sections. Seniors Austin Fraunholtz and Ethan Torgrimson as well as juniors Dylan Enriquez, Spencer Johnson, and Ashton Lipinski. The tournament was held at St. Michael-Albertville High School from March 25th-27th.

Ethan Torgrimson ended the state tournament with a 4th place finish in the 220 lbs weight class in AAA.

Spencer Johnson ended the state tournament with a 5th place finish in the 120 lbs weight class in AAA.

Sartell senior, Marley Michaud, having a blast during her floor routine. (Marley Michaud)

The last state tournament for winter athletics was Gymnastics. It was held at Champlin Park High School on March 26th & 27th.

The Sartell Gymnastics Team won their very first State Title winning first in every event but beam. Sartell finished the day out with a final team score of 148.050.

Gymnasts from Sartell hug each other after placing 1st in the State for the very first time. (Ivy Senn)

Special shoutout to Sartell senior, Marley Michaud, for winning 1st in State All Around. Marley had a spectacular season as well as a super successful trip to State. Michaud placed first in Vault and Bars as well as 21st in Beams and 3rd on Floor.

Senior, Carly Yang, also had some great placements at this year’s state tournament. On Floor, she got 22nd place, on beam she placed 38th, and on bars she was awarded 2nd place.

The 2020-2021 winter athletics season has made a name for itself and was monumental. This season graduated a lot of talented senior athletes who ended their careers on the highest note you could. 

The LeSabre • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in