Sartell high school students work at a local ice cream store. (Anika Wirth)
Sartell high school students work at a local ice cream store.

Anika Wirth

A day in the life at Coldstone Creamery Sartell

March 15, 2021

Sartell High School students work at a local ice cream store, Coldstone Creamery, and have tons of memories to share about their experiences.

Bruce Peltz, owner of the Sartell and St. Cloud Coldstone, aims to employ high school students because he really enjoys working with teenagers. He says he loves the energy and vibe teenagers bring to Coldstone and it’s customers.

The first person I interviewed with was Celso Hernandez. Celso has been working at the Sartell Coldstone for about a year now, and he occasionally picks up shifts at the St. Cloud store.

Q: Who is your favorite person to work with? 

A: “I enjoy working with Katie [a Sauk Rapids student] the most.”

Q: Why is Katie your favorite co-worker?

A: “She is super sporadic, and she always lights up the mood at work.”

Q: What about working with her makes it so enjoyable?

A: “We just goof off when no customers are in there, and it’s nice to forget about work for a second.”

Q: What is your favorite night of the week to work?

A: “Tuesday nights because it’s not too busy, and it’s the middle of the week.”

Q: Follow up- what is your least favorite night of the week to work?

A: “Friday night because it’s always really busy.” 

Q: What was the highest tip amount you ever went home with from one shift?

A: “One night I got $54 just in tips. There weren’t any events going on, but everyone was just tipping for some reason. Then, my friend came in and tipped us $100 and there were only two people working, so I got half.”

Q: What is your least favorite closing job?

A: “I would say stone and key because I don’t like counting the money. Whenever the money isn’t exact, I get really stressed.”

Q: Follow up- what is your favorite closing job?

A: “Lobby because it’s so easy and you can finish it as soon as 10 minutes after we close. Then you can help everyone else finish their stuff and get out really early.”

Q: What is the funniest memory you have at Coldstone?

A: “One night, Emerson, Katie, and I were throwing gummy bears in the air and trying to catch them in our mouths, but then it turned into a gummy bear fight and we were just throwing gummy bears at each other.”

Q: What is one night that stands out as the most memorable?

A: “The time that I accidentally made Katie cry.”

Q: What store do you like better…. Sartell or St. Cloud?

A: “I like working at St Cloud because it’s really busy, but also really like Sartell because it’s really organized. I can’t pick a favorite.”

The second person I interviewed with was Sophie Eckhoff. She has been working at the Sartell Coldstone since Fall of 2020.

A: “I would say either Emerson or Makenna because it’s fun to talk to them and we just make funny jokes the whole time.”

A: “I like Friday nights because I usually don’t have plans so it’s nice to get out and be social.”

A: “Just a random 5-close with Celso, we each went home with $28.”

Q: What is your least favorite job to close?

A: “Blast and bathrooms because it’s so cold in the freezer, and I hate hauling everything to and from the bathrooms.”

A: “One night, the drain by the stone got clogged and there was a giant flood that we had to clean up while there was a huge line of customers.”

A: “One time, this guy came in and he told us he wasn’t from here then continued to ask for some aluminum foil and we didn’t know why, but it was pretty suspicious. We didn’t have any aluminum foil, so we offered him saran wrap, but he said no and walked out.” 

The third and final person I interviewed with was Makenna Privratsky. Makenna has been working at the Sartell Coldstone since July of 2020.

A: “There isn’t anyone I don’t like working with, but Bailee and Emerson stick out as some of the best. I feel like it’s more fun with them because we get along better. It’s easy to work and talk with them cause we’re really comfortable with each other.”

A: “I like working Thursday nights, because it’s really chill.”

Q: What is your least favorite night of the week to work?

A: “Sunday nights because you have to pull ice cream and that takes a long time. I especially hate it if it was a busy night, and we have to stay even later.”

Q: What was the highest tip amount you ever received in one shift?

A: “On Halloween, I left with $42 but it wasn’t ’cause there was a ton of people. I think people just felt bad that we were working on Halloween. One guy gave us $10 each and said ‘go buy yourself a treat’ so that made my night.”

A: “Dishes because it’s tedious and they build up all night so it gets stressful cause they take so long.”

A: “When Bailee thought someone was in the men’s bathroom and she went back there with the biggest knife we had to make sure no one was there.” 

A: “When someone walked in the back door because we forgot to lock it and he just walked in, looked as us, said ‘sorry’ and walked out.”

These three high school students, as well as myself, love the fun and chill atmosphere we experience at Coldstone Creamery. Everyone is really easy to get along with because most of us are high school students so it makes conversing very relatable.

The LeSabre • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in