Interns4Good: an opportunity all high school students need to hear about

Mary Eichler

Interns4Good is run by a diverse group of high school students around the country.

Interns4Good is a nonprofit organization that helps high school students around the world gain work experience via online internships. Interns4Good is a great way to jumpstart your career while also helping amazing organizations that give back to our world. 

Ellie grew up in Purchase, New York with a passion for photography and graphic design. (Screenshot from Interns4Good Website)

Ellie Zimmerman founded Interns4Good at age 16 after being frustrated trying to find meaningful and accessible internships in high school. Ellie, like many high school students, had interests she wanted to pursue but no opportunities in order to do so. She came up with the idea to make Interns4Good after going on a backpacking trip with 25 other high school students from across the country. Hearing they had similar struggles to her made her determined to change the way high school students applied for internships. Ellie is currently a senior in high school and her company has grown into a massive success. 

Interns4Good works with 187 nonprofit organizations giving high school students the opportunity to participate in internships that are suited to their own unique talents. Some nonprofit partners include Google for Nonprofits, Khan Academy, Points of Light, ENGin, and Elevate the Future. All internships are fully virtual and have flexible hours because they understand that high school students have demanding schedules. There are many internships available from a variety of fields including social media management, graphic design, and video editing. 

A grant given from Points of Light allowed Interns4Good to purchase and distribute tablets. (Screenshot from Interns4Good Website)

Along with internships, Interns4Good also has tutoring opportunities and special initiatives that work towards making the world a better place. Interns4Good currently has provided 1,235 children with 1-on-1 online tutoring and support. It has also provided 173 lesson plans to help teachers during virtual learning. Tutors provide support to students ranging from elementary through middle school. Many being underprivileged children attending Title 1 schools across the country. Some special initiatives include working with organizations campaigning the Black Lives Matter movement, sending cards to breast cancer patients across the country, and purchasing and distributing tablets to underprivileged students. 

Interns4Good was named a “2020 Top-Rated Nonprofit” by GreatNonprofits, the leading provider of user reviews of charities and nonprofits. Ellie Zimmerman was also featured on Forbes with an article titled “The Young Entrepreneur Connecting Teens With Valuable Nonprofit Experience.” 

Interns4Good receives about 100 new applicants each day and continues to grow its success. (Screenshot from Interns4Good Website)

Helping out nonprofit organizations while also gaining experience to build your resume is an amazing opportunity that all high school students could benefit from. Currently, 8,227 high school students are a part of the program and more are always welcome.

To apply to any of these areas click here to fill out the application.