Sartell High School and Coborn’s donate to families in need this holiday season

The+Sartell+community+managed+to+raise+enough+money+to+create+86+boxes+this+year+to+donate+to+families+in+need.+That+is+16+more+boxes+than+last+year%27s+70+box+total.+

Caleb LaFleur via Canva

The Sartell community managed to raise enough money to create 86 boxes this year to donate to families in need. That is 16 more boxes than last year’s 70 box total.

This Thanksgiving, Sartell High School’s Student Council has partnered with a local Coborn’s store to deliver food to families in need.

The project, titled, Turkey in a Box, was put together by the council and aided by the High School’s assistant principal Nick Peterson. Mr. Peterson dedicated his time to coordinating a way to get the boxes of food to families in need, while the district is in a distance learning model.

Without him, none of this would have been possible.

The council has asked that a special thanks be given to both Mr. Peterson as well as Coborn’s. As it was their hard work that has truly made this dream a reality. While the Student Council arranged for a way for donations to be collected, it was Peterson and the local Coborn’s that put it all together. Coborn’s deserves a huge thanks this holiday season for their outstanding acts of generosity. It is truly amazing how much help they have put towards this project. They went so far as to even donate a free turkey with every single box that was completed through community donations.

Looking back on this, it is amazing what was going on behind the scenes, however, it is just as important that the district, student teachers, and Sartell community is thanked for their donations this year.

2020 has been a very difficult year for the entire world. With so many groups of people in need, it is more important than ever that communities continue to find ways to support each other even if it is from a distance.

The Sartell High School Student Council extends their thanks and prayers out to these people, families, and organizations as without them this wouldn’t have been possible.

The Turkey in a Bag fundraiser has always been about giving back to families who needed it, and this year the demand was significantly higher. All of our donations went directly to the families who needed it. This year we opened up to donations to all the schools and the community and ended up with 86 full boxes for the families. Which was way above our original goal. I would like to give a special thanks to Josh Bentley and Mrs. Fredrickson for helping us coordinate the virtual fundraiser. Also, a special thank you to Mr. Peterson for coordinating with Coborn’s to create an easy pick-up for the families. But most of all I would like to thank you, the students. This was our highest turn out in years, and it’s all thanks to you!”

— Emma Arneson (Committee Head)