Coronavirus deaths and cases rise in the United States; Deaths globally near one million.

Kira Workman

Students in Sartell sit with masks on while social distancing

Kira Workman, Journalist

In the United States 200,000 people have died in the past six months due to the coronavirus. The coronavirus has taken control of American’s lives for the past six months and many people have lost their lives due to the virus. The United States has taken lead with the highest number of Covid-19 related deaths in the whole world. The United States just recently surpassed 200,000 deaths.

New York has the highest number of Covid-19 related deaths with 180 deaths per 100,000 people. Other states with high death rates are New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Louisiana, and Rhode Island. With colleges going back to school and sports starting up again there are concerns that Covid-19 cases will begin to rise.

There are four hopeful Covid-19 vaccines for the near future. President Trump says that vaccine companies will be able to distribute the vaccine in early October. Vaccine companies have confirmed that they will not be ready in October and should be ready for large distribution in Spring or Summer of 2021. President Trump would like the vaccine to come out in October before the election in November, despite what the vaccine companies are suggesting.  

The first wave of coronavirus hit the United States in early March and put the whole country into shock. States went into lockdown and stay at home orders were issued by many governors across the country. Americans were stuck inside for the majority of the spring months and were waiting for some guidance.

In late spring stay at home orders were lifted, and Americans were ready to get outside and feel some sort of normalcy in the summer months. As the summer months passed and fall approached, there was concern for a second wave a coronavirus to hit the United States. The CDC is still recommending that people wear masks in public spaces and stay six feet apart from others. Thirty-four states have a mask mandate in order to help stop the spread and keep death rates down.