Photo via Medium Under Creative Commons License

Trump and Biden will be going head to head this year in the 2020 election.

Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump: A Battle for America’s Future?

October 1, 2020

2020: the year of the 59th quadrennial presidential election. This year’s presidential candidate for the Republican party is Donald Trump.  For the Democrats, it is Joe Biden. This past year has been quite chaotic, to say the least, and there is a large number of people who are pointing their fingers at Trump. It is not uncommon to hear negative statements about the current president. However, with Biden now in the lead, perhaps it’s time to sit down and take a look at the nitty-gritty of both these gentlemen. 

What’s Up with Biden?

Similar to most presidential candidates, this is not Joe Biden’s first time running for president. In 1988, Biden had to drop out of the race due to plagiarism. It was found that he had stolen fragments of speeches from John F. Kennedy as well as many other famed politicians. However, this wasn’t the first time that he had been caught stealing someone else’s work. Just last summer, according to Vox, “Joe Biden’s climate plan, released on the morning of June 4, contains several passages that seem to have been copied and pasted, at times with very superficial changes, from various advocacy organizations, policy shops, and in one instance a Vox article.” Another instance of plagiarism from 1965 during his first year at Syracuse Law school, Biden submitted a paper in which he did not cite five pages worth of information from a published law review. As a repercussion for his actions, he flunked the class but was allowed to retake it.

While on the topic of Syracuse Law School, at a 1987 rally Biden stated, “I went to law school on a full academic scholarship…[and] ended up in the top half of my class.” This is not true. Biden graduated 76th of 85 students. He also made multiple other statements along with this, none of which were true. However, this isn’t the first time he’s been caught lying about himself.

“When I left the United States Senate, I became a professor at the University of Pennsylvania,” Biden recently stated. He has never taught a single class. He has also claimed that he is was a civil rights activist, yet this is not true at all. Instead, Joe fought for segregation in schools in the 1970s.  He also eulogized one of America’s famed racists Strom Thurmond. Finally, just last year, he shared a very heart-wrenching story of how he went to Afghanistan to honor a Navy Captains’ heroics. The story was fabricated.

Among the Republican party, and Donald Trump supporters, an idea has been circulating that perhaps Joe is simply a place holder or a “Trojan horse for the radical left.” Recent information supports this theory. During a virtual round table, Harris mentioned a “Harris Administration.” Trump supporters and Republicans are wondering if this was a Freudian slip. Was it?

On top of everything, both Joe Biden and Donald Trump have sexual assault allegations going against them. Either way, each of these men seems to be very flawed. Is one better than the other? It’s up to U.S. voters to decide. Minnesota’s Primary Election date is on November 3rd, 2020. DON’T FORGET TO VOTE!

About the Writer
Photo of Caleb LaFleur
Caleb LaFleur, Journalist

Caleb LaFleur ('23) is a new addition the LeSabre team.  He plans to write opinionated reviews, investigative articles, and is considering diving into...

Should We Dump Trump?

A pandemic known as Covid-19 struck the world in 2020. Going against his own restrictions, on September 14th, Donald Trump held a campaign rally indoors in Nevada. He has also admitted to deliberately playing down the threat of the coronavirus: “I always wanted to play it down… I don’t want to create a mass panic.”

Not long after the recordings of Trump’s statement were released, he claimed that he ‘up played’ the virus with his actions. However, this is more than likely just another claim. After all, according to The Washington Post, in just 1,267 days, Trump made more than 20,000 false or misleading claims. With that statistic having been released, how do the people know if they can trust him?

He is also known for not believing in climate change. When provided with scientific facts he responded, “I don’t think that even science knows what’s going on.”

President Trump has also been trying to end Obamacare amidst this pandemic. According to The White House,Obamacare is hurting American families, farmers, and small businesses with skyrocketing health insurance costs. Moreover, soaring deductibles and copays have made already unaffordable plans unusable. Close to half of U.S. counties are projected to have only one health insurer on their exchanges in 2018. Replacing Obamacare will force insurance companies to compete for their customers with lower costs and higher-quality service. In the meantime, the President is using his executive authority to reduce barriers to more affordable options for Americans and U.S. businesses.”

Trump has also made multiple misogynistic comments about women. (Since I am writing this article for a school newspaper, I am unable to quote him on these statements. However, at your discretion, you may read some of them here.)

He has also made countless racial comments towards a large variety of races. While the United State’s current President claims that he is “the least racist person,” the evidence begs to differ. According to Vox, he has had a long history with racism, all starting in the 70s. Donald’s administration also does not believe in systemic racism.

The 44th U.S. president has also refused USPS funding in attempts to fight mail-in voting. In response, postmaster General Louis DeJoy stated, “As we head into the election season, I want to assure this committee and the American public that the Postal Service is fully capable and committed to delivering the nation’s election mail securely and on time.”

About the Writer
Photo of Caleb LaFleur
Caleb LaFleur, Journalist

The LeSabre • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in