A day in the life of Mitiku Nies

Grace Wittmer-George

Mitiku, who is a sophomore SHS student, smiles after being interviewed about his life.

Mitiku Nies is 17 years old and a sophomore this year at Sartell High School. Mitiku describes his life as wonderful and lives his life day by day. 

Each day Mitiku wakes up precisely at 7:00 am and after scrolling through Instagram and SnapChat, he goes and gets ready for school. After he is ready, he hurries to the kitchen to enjoy his favorite breakfast meal: waffles, specially made by his dad. 

Mitiku gets to school around 8:00 am every day except for Fridays. On Fridays, he has to be at school by 7:30 am for Student Council, which he has been a part of for five years now. 

Mitiku’s first class is World History with Mrs. Vossler, then he goes to Concert Choir with Mr.Nordhues and Mrs. Richardson. For his third class, he has gym and health with Mr.Sailor, which he says is his favorite class this semester. His last, but least favorite class is English 10 with Mrs.Nelson; however, he says Nelson is his favorite teacher in the school. 

After school ends, Mitiku heads to the fields by Oak Ridge Elementary for soccer practice. He has been playing travel soccer for 10 years, and just recently joined the school’s varsity soccer team this year. The soccer team practices every weekday right after school from 3:40 to 6:00 pm.

My favorite part of the day is when I finally get to lay back in my bed; it’s a good stress reliever.

— Mitiku Nies

Once practice is over, Mitiku heads home and eats dinner around 7:00 pm. After dinner, he finishes up any homework he has due the next day and then hops into bed by 10:00 pm. Mitiku states, “My favorite part of the day is when I finally get to lay back in my bed, it’s a good stress reliever.”

Jason Nies
Mitiku playing soccer.