Fight breaks out at Tech High School

Fight breaks out at Tech High School

The front of the new Tech High School.

The front of the new Tech High School.

Grace Wittmer- George

The front of the new Tech High School.

Grace Wittmer- George

Grace Wittmer- George

The front of the new Tech High School.

On Wednesday, September 25th more than 20 law enforcement officers were called to St.Cloud Technical High School after a  fight broke out. There were 19 students (18 boys and one girl) involved in the fight, and all are now facing criminal charges. 

Several students suffered minor injuries from the fight, but police said none of them needed to be taken to the hospital. Police also reported that there was no indication of any weapons involved.

During the fight, the school was put into lockdown sometime around 12:00 p.m. which lasted until about 1:00 p.m. Nobody was allowed in or out of the building. After the lockdown had concluded, students resumed their normal classes and activities, while police remained at the school for the rest of the day. 

The Stearns county attorney’s office charged five male 17-year-olds, eight male 16-year-olds, four male 15-year-olds, one female 14-year-old, and one male 14-year-old. 

The police eventually found that there was a pocket knife present during the fight that was in the hands of one of the 16-year-olds. He is now being charged with three felony counts that include terroristic threats, possessing a dangerous weapon on school property, and second-degree riot. This particular 16 year old is the only one of the nineteen students that is being charged with three felony counts; the other eighteen are facing felony or gross misdemeanor charges. 

On Wednesday, the St.Cloud district announced that none of the students involved will be allowed to return to the school district this year, and that they may also face expulsion after this year.