SCSU has new living requirements that is turning heads

St. Cloud State is changing some of its freshmen requirements.

photo via Wikimedia Commons under the creative commons license

St. Cloud State University has been a commonly chosen college for local area students since 1869. The university was first opened as a teacher college with 53 females and only 10 males.

Over the years, SCSU has grown into the second highest enrolled university in Minnesota with over 18,000 students enrolled as of 2010. SCSU comes in second behind The University of Minnesota with over 50,000 enrolled students.  81.4% of the total students at SCSU are Minnesota residents. During one of President Robbyn Wacker’s speeches, she highlighted the goal of continuing to make SCSU the first option of Minnesotans.

But contrary to that sentiment, next year things are going to be a little different at SCSU.  There might not be an abundance of local students going to SCSU anymore.

St. Cloud State had announced a new rule about first-year student living requirements. The new rule requires first-year students to live on campus, no matter how close they live to the college already.

Reese Balaski, a Sartell High School senior, has been accepted to SCSU to start his career in music. His major will be vocal music. Reese claimed, “I don’t like the requirement of having to live on campus, but it doesn’t make me not want to attend the college.”

St. Cloud State University stated that living on campus is proven to help increase students GPA. Reese shared his thoughts on that statement, “ I don’t think that living on campus really affects it, but I guess having the close access to the teachers and facilities might help you study.”

Though this new requirement did not affect Reese’s decision to go, it might have affected other local students that were looking at attending SCSU.

To find out more about this requirement you can call the SCSU Department of Residential Life at (320) 308-2166.

Update as of 4/2/19: SCSU responded to one of our tweets with a new link showing exemptions to their on-campus living requirement. Here is the link.