Sabres Boys Basketball advances in playoffs

The Sartell Sabres battled against the Little Falls Flyers on Tuesday, March 5.

Photo by Jordan Mareck

Photo by Jordan Mareck

Photo by Jordan Mareck

SHS boys basketball beat Little Falls on Sartell’s home court on Tuesday, ending the Flyers season but sending the Sabres and Sabre fans off to Moorhead.

Sartell began strong after the tip off at 7pm, leading 10-4 early on in the game. Sartell continued to create a gap against Little Falls, but struggled when the Flyers had a 14 point run, eventually leading the game by half time. At half time, the score was 25-24, Little Falls.

Although the Sabres struggled in the last part of the first half, the team kicked it into gear and fought their way back up to a lead during the second half. The Sabres continued to fight for the game that would determine the continuation or end of their season, and led the game  58-43 with three minutes left.

Ultimately, the Sabres’ hard work paid off. The boys won 70-46 after they successfully shut down Little Falls.

Photo by Jordan Mareck
Photo of scoreboard on Sartell’s home court after the end of the Playoff game on Tuesday, March 5. Sartell won with 70, beating Little Falls who scored 46.

Although the boys are able to continue in the second round of playoffs, junior Matt Sieben was injured during the second half and sat out for the remainder of the game. However, the Sabre boys united and continued to play hard, as Sieben, one of Sartell’s star players, cheered on his team from the sidelines.

Senior Thomas Gieske led the Sabres with the most points, scoring 17. Luke Tillotson followed Gieske with 15, Jake Schelonka with 9, Dylan Notsch with 5, and Matt Weno with 2. Matt Sieben scored 7, Brady Schmidt 5, Dominic Hagy 3, Jacob Bjelland 2, and Gus Gunderson with a 3.

I am super proud of the team for all we have accomplished so far, and I am really excited to continue in the playoffs. Love spending everyday with the team.”

— Matt Weno

The Sabres (#2 seed) will play in the second round of playoffs for section 8AAA against #3 seed Alexandria in Moorhead, Minnesota on Friday, March 8. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday the 9th but has been moved forward due to possible snow in Moorhead.

Photo by Jordan Mareck
The shoes in the picture display the names of every player on Sartell’s Boys Basketball Varsity team.

Senior Matt Weno expressed pride in his team:  “I am super proud of the team for all we have accomplished so far, and I am really excited to continue in the playoffs. Love spending every day with the team.”

To keep up with the boys on their journey through the playoffs, follow @gosartellsabres on Twitter.

Photo by Jordan Mareck
One of the two basketball hoops that helped Sartell advance to the next round of playoffs.

About the Writer
Jordan Mareck, Journalist

My name is Jordan Mareck, and I am a senior at SHS. I enjoy trying to play tennis and yelling at the refs during basketball games. This is my second and last year on the LeSabre staff. Aside from being a pro journalist, I am also a nanny and a dog mom. I am obsessed with my dog, blasting my eardrums with trap music, and rolling with the homies.

• Sabres Boys Basketball advances in playoffs

2018-2019

Rain doesn’t slow the Sabres down

2018-2019

As spring arrives, construction follows

2018-2019

Graduating students relieved of all student-debt loans

2018-2019

Mindfulness in education: is it actually helpful?

2018-2019

St. Cloud vs Sauk Rapids Dairy Queen

2018-2019

Do we depend on technology too much?

2018-2019

Alabama Senate passes ban on abortion

2018-2019

SAT ‘adversity score’ could help close the gap between privilege and hardship

2018-2019

Contrary to popular thought, Goodwill does not take just anything

2018-2019

The major developments of the 2019 college admissions scandal

Skip to toolbar