Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

Is organic better?

Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

Eggs make for a nourishing breakfast. The color of the egg shell does not affect the nutritional value.

C. Jemming

C. Jemming

C. Jemming

Imagine… everything is almost ready in order to make enchiladas for supper. Opening the fridge, you come to the dreadful realization that you ran out of eggs. Rushing to the grocery store, you come face to face with the cold glass door, trying to decide whether to buy the $5.74 Marketside Organic Cage Free Large Brown Grade A Eggs with 18 eggs in a carton, or $2.96 for a typical conventional dozen of eggs.

In most cases today, the general public has to decide between organic and store-bought eggs at the supermarket.

When pulled aside and asked the difference between store bought and fresh farm eggs, a majority of people would simply reply that they are healthier. However, they do not know the exact difference between the two.

The real difference between store bought and fresh farm eggs is, well, just about everything.

A lot of consumers do not favor the yolk in general because of its dryness, taste, or because they think it is considered unhealthy. The yolk of a farm egg is richer in color, with more of an orange hue, rather than the light yellow tone of store-bought eggs. A deep orange yolk means that the hens had a well-balanced diet of fresh greens that have astounding nutritional value. A healthy diet produces healthy eggs. For the healthiest egg, look for labels saying “pasture-raised” instead of “cage-free”, “organic”, and “vegetarian-fed” because this means the hens are consuming nutritional greens.

Along with the difference in color, the overall structure of an organic egg is stronger than a store bought one. The yolk is creamier and does not break as easily when cooked. The shell is also noticeably thicker. Besides the difference in eating, chickens from the farm spend their days soaking up vitamin D. Although a lot of people think there is a difference between the color of the shell, this is incorrect.

About the Contributor
C. Jemming, Journalist

There are days where even my coffee needs coffee. There are days that I put the "pro" in procrastination. There are days when I say "I'm just gonna lay...

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Sartell High School’s bloody good blood drive

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Coldstone: Sartell vs St. Cloud

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Not so extinct tortoise found in Galápagos Islands

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Could the moon be our second home?

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Attempted murder at Mall of America

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

The Sartell school board refuses budget reduction proposal

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

The Sartell Public Safety Center is under construction

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

Sartell won $10,000 in the Kraft Hockeyville contest to improve the local arena

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

March Madness 2019 comes to a close

• Cracking the code on supermarket eggs

2018-2019

NHS: The Induction Banquet

Skip to toolbar
Cracking the code on supermarket eggs