Eastview Invitational vs. Academy of Holy Angels Invitational

The Sartell Sabre Dance Team celebrates their accomplishment after Academy of Holy Angels Invitational.

photo via permission of Drake Lalim

photo via permission of Drake Lalim

photo via permission of Drake Lalim

December 20, 2018

The annual dance competition at Eastview High School has always been a big deal. This is the one competition where the best dance teams in the state attend. The Eastview Invitational is also the only competition where Totino Grace and Benilde-St Margaret’s, who are Sartell’s biggest competitors,  will all be at the same competition. This year, however, Faribault, who is also a major competitor will be there. This is why the Eastview Invitational gets the name of “mini-state” due to the fact this is the only invite where all the big competitors will be.

This year, the Eastview Invitational took place on Saturday, December 8, 2018. The results of the competition include the following:

Varsity High Kick:

Third: Faribault High School

Liz McGee
SSDT fans wait for the team to come out and dance for them.

Second Place: Totino-Grace High School

First Place: Sartell High School

Varsity Jazz:

Third Place: Sartell High School

Tied for First: Totino-Grace High School and Benilde-                            St Margaret’s High School

The dancers had a very busy day on Saturday, and here is how they felt the day went from the perspective of a senior and a freshman.

Senior: Izzy Kucala

Q: How do you feel the team did on Saturday?

A: I thought we did very well and at the time was one of our best performances. The team was very focused.

Q: What was your favorite part of the day?

A: Probably the bus ride there, because everyone was deliriously tired, and it was really funny.

Liz McGee
The SSDT is ready to walk on and blow the crowd away with their routine.

Q: What was your least favorite part of the day?

A: It was an extremely long day, because of the gift wrapping after the competition.

Q: Does the pressure of this competition being a “mini-state” that is put on the team affect how you do?

A: I thought so, this year it wasn’t a bad way though, because this year everyone was so focused and new that this would determine how the rest of the year will go.

Freshman: Alexa Anderson

A: “I feel like the team did pretty good.”

A:” My favorite part of the day was probably performing.”

Brooke Andel, sophomore, touching up her make-up before going to perform

A: “I don’t think I have a least favorite part of the day.”

A: ” I feel like a good amount of pressure affects how we do, but in a good way.”

The Sartell Sabre Dance Team had an invitational at Academy of Holy Angels a week later on December 15, 2018. This competition is a less intense environment than the Eastview Invitational. The results included the following:

Varsity High Kick:

Third: Simley High School

Second: Austin High School

First: Sartell High School

Varsity Jazz:

Third: Austin High School

Second: Simley High School

First: Sartell High School

Reese Schwarzentraub
The SSDT jazz team talks about their goals for the day before going out to compete.

Due to the change in intensity of the competitions, this is how they dancers felt about the difference between the meets:

Senior: Izzy Kucala

Q: What was different about the two competitions?

A: For Academy, since it was less stress and wasn’t against our toughest competitors, we didn’t try as hard as we could have. It wasn’t our best performance.

Q: What did you like about Eastview that wasn’t present at Academy of Holy Angels?

A: I liked the attitude and atmosphere, all the dancers there were really into it and really excited to perform their dances. At Academy, everyone seemed like they didn’t want to be there.

Q: Do you like high-intensity competitions or low-intensity competitions better? Why?

A: I like high intensity because it gives you a reason to push yourself harder and it generally makes the day go by faster.

Freshman: Alexa Anderson

A: ” Eastview was a much bigger competition compared to Academy of Holy Angels.”

A: “I liked how Eastview had a bigger crowd because it was much more fun to be there.”

A: “I like high-intensity competitions more because they are overall more fun.”

The LeSabre • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in