Sartell basketball prevails in double header against Sauk Rapids

Sartell took on Sauk Rapids in a doubleheader basketball game on Friday, December 14th.

Hunter Boelz

Hunter Boelz

Hunter Boelz

On Friday, December, 14th 2018 Sartell ventured across the river in the battle of the courts. Sartell girls and boys both had varsity games played on the main court in Sauk Rapids. The girls kicked off the doubleheader at 6:30 PM with the boys following at 8:00 PM.

Sartell 56 v. Sauk Rapids 35

The girls’ varsity team kicked the night off strong for Sartell varsity basketball. They jumped out to an early lead and never took their foot off the gas during the first half. The team played strong together and capitalized on Sauk Rapid’s errors. At the end of the first half, Sartell would have a solid lead going into the second half of the game.

Sartell Girls basketball had a dominant first half against Sauk Rapids High school.

The second half started a lot slower than the first half though. Both teams would combine for 8 points in the first eight minutes of the second half. After a timeout called by Sartell Girls’ Basketball head coach Katie Martin, Sartell came out firing on all cylinders. They would never look back and would finish the game with a final score of 56 points, to Sauk Rapid’s 35 points. SHS senior and captain Emily Driste led the charge leading the team in points.

Sartell 67 v. Sauk Rapids 41

The boys’ varsity team kicked off after a dominating girls victory, and they looked to do the same. The first half was a tightly contested contest that featured lots of back and forth play. Sartell was led by Junior Matt Sieben and Senior Thomas Gieske who would both score 11 points in the first half. 

Hunter Boelz
Sartell Boys Basketball had a solid lead going into halftime against Sauk Rapids.

The second half would commence with an even more powerful charge from Sartell where they would double their score and even more. As the game clock ran down, Sartell’s win became more evident, so head coach Marcus Oistad decided that the bench players and players that didn’t necessarily get much playing time normally would get some playing time in the end. The game would end with Sartell on top, and they would improve their record to 3-0.

Hunter Boelz
Sartell Boys Basketball team edges out against Sauk Rapids on Friday, December 14th.

After the game, Senior Jake Schelonka shared his overall thoughts about the win:

I thought everyone played well as a team and that everyone contributed to the win.”

— Jake Schelonka

Sartell girls have a game on Tuesday, December 18th away against Alexandria and then a game on Friday, December 21st against Detroit Lakes. The boys’ team has a very similar schedule playing at home on Tuesday and Friday (Alexandria and Willmar). Friday night is Tommy B night at Sartell which is a night dedicated towards the passing of Tom Bearson, a Sartell graduate and basketball player.

About the Contributor
Hunter Boelz, Journalist

Hunter Boelz is currently a senior at Sartell High School. As a young buck trying to survive in the world, he works long hours at Emerald Companies Inc....

• Sartell basketball prevails in double header against Sauk Rapids

2018-2019

Sartell Basketball falls to Fergus Falls

2018-2019

Journalist who exposed FIFA corruption shot dead

2018-2019

You: a thrilling new perspective

2018-2019

Furor in France

2018-2019

How dependent are we on technology?

2018-2019

Kraft now, pay later

2018-2019

Tarah on tennis

2018-2019

Kyler Murray and the NFL

2018-2019

Sartell’s thunderous swim meet against Sauk Rapids Storm

2018-2019

Government shutdown causes chaos at Atlanta airport

Skip to toolbar