Miss Dance Team Competition

November 25, 2018

Sartell+Competitors

Miss Dance Team Competition

Sartell Competitors

Sartell Competitors

Stephanie Schwarzentraub

Sartell Competitors

Stephanie Schwarzentraub

Stephanie Schwarzentraub

Sartell Competitors

On Sunday, October 28, the Miss Dance Team Minnesota competition took place at Eastview High School in Apple Valley. This competition has been going on since 2002. The very first competition had about 30 dancers competing, however, this year there were over 100 dancers competing. The dancers that are competing must be on their high school dance teams. There are categories for different ages as well. There is a division for 7th and 8th graders, 9-11th graders, and a Miss division for the seniors. Dancers are competing for the titles of Best of 9th Grade, Best of 10th Grade, Best of 11th Grade, and Miss Dance Team, all depending on the dancers grade level. There is also a Team Minnesota created from selected dancers to go and compete at nationals. This year’s Miss Dance Team winner was Grace Kisch from Eastview High School.

Stephanie Schwarzentraub
Dancers with their fans

There were 4 girls from Sartell that competed in this year’s competition. Reese Schwarzentraub, a senior at Sartell High School, competed for the 3rd time this year. Maggie Schneider, a sophomore, competed for the first time. Rianna Runge and Maggie Fandel, both freshmen, also competed for the first time this year. Reese, Rianna, and Maggie all dance at a local dance studio called St. Cloud School of Dance. Maggie Schneider dances at the local Just for Kix Studio.

I went to the studio every weekend and stayed late after regular practices to practice my solo. Mentally, I would listen to my song and visualize my dance.”

— Reese Schwarezentraub

Reese has been dancing since she was 2 years old. She danced at Elite Dance Productions in Hermantown, Minnesota up until she moved to Sartell in 8th grade. This is when she started dancing at St. Cloud School of Dance. Her favorite style of dance is jazz because she likes the fast pace and upbeat music. I got the chance to talk to Reese about her experience at Miss Dance TeamMinnesota:

Link to Reese’s solos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIqvYUwyL9A

Q: What was your favorite part of the day?

A: “Seeing all of my fellow Sartell Dance Team members compete.”

Q: What was your least favorite part of the day?

A: “Waking up at 4:45 am.”

Q: Would you recommend this experience to others?

A: “Yeah, because it’s really fun to see other girls from across the state compete.”

Q: How did you prepare for this competition?

A: “I went to the studio every weekend and stayed late after regular practices to practice my solo. Mentally, I would listen to my song and visualize my dance.”

Q: What song did you dance to? Why did you pick this song?

A: “I danced to If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys, and I chose this song because it matched my costume.”

Q: Who choreographed your solo?

A: “My sister, Sloan.”

Q: How does this competition compare to your studio competitions?

A: “Scene-wise, it is in a gym instead of a stage. It is also a different vibe because of the girls all dance on a school dance team and a different atmosphere all together”

I felt like I could relate the song to my life, so it was easy to get into.”

— Maggie Scheider

Maggie Schneider has been dancing since she was 3 years old. Maggie started dancing at St. Cloud School of Dance for a year or two, and then switched to Granite City Gymnastics for about 2 years. Since then, she has been dancing at Just for Kix in Sartell. Maggie’s favorite style of dance is contemporary because there are fewer rules when it comes to moves. I also got the chance to interview Maggie:

A: “ dancing”

A: “Waiting around”

Q: Would you recommend this experience to others? Do you plan on competing next year?

Stephanie Schwarzentraub
Maggie Schneider and Karly Hoemburg

A: “Yes, I think it was a great experience. Yes, I plan on competing next year.”

A: “I definitely could have been more prepared, but it was more mental preparation than anything.”

Q: What song did you dance to? Why did you pick this song?

A: “Unbroken by Birdy, I felt like I could relate the song to my life, so it was easy to get in to.”

Q: Who choreographed your solo?

A: “Arista Metz”

A: “It was a different setting because it wasn’t on a stage and it was a different vibe. I feel like people were much more intense when it came to the competition aspect.”

Rianna has been dancing since she was 3 years old. Rianna danced at Just for Kix until she was in fourth grade. She then moved to St Cloud School of Dance. Rianna’s favorite style of dance is lyrical or contemporary because she finds it the most fun.

A: “Probably watching all of the talent that was there.”

A: “how long the day was ”

A: “Yes; yes”

A: “ I worked on my solo about 3 times a week.”

A: “Misplaced, because I like it and it seemed like it would be fun to dance to.”

Q: Who choreographed your solo?

A: “Amanda Sampson”

A: “This one is only people on dance teams and you only compete your solos.”

My favorite part of the day was seeing all of the dancers from other teams and spending more time with the people on my team.”

— Maggie Fandel

Maggie Fandel has been dancing since she was 2 years old. She started out dancing at a studio called Dance With Me. She danced there until she was about 6 years old. Then she started dancing at St. Cloud School of Dance and she is still dancing there. Maggie’s favorite style of dance in contemporary, because she finds it to be very expressive.

A: “My favorite part of the day was seeing all of the dancers from other teams and spending more time with the people on my team.”

A: “My least favorite part of the day was waking up early.”

A: “Yes, and yes I like competing there a lot.”

Stephanie Schwarzentraub
Four dancers from Sartell

A: “I had my cousin choreograph me a solo in July, and I had to spend time cleaning it and getting it ready for the weekend of the competition.”

A: “I danced to a song called Aisling; my cousin picked the song because of the beat.”

Q: Who choreographed your solo?

A: “My cousin choreographed my solo. She has choreographed my last 2 solos and we work really well together and understand what each other are looking for.”

A: “This competition was similar to my studio competitions, except it was only for solos, and it seemed like everyone knew someone from another team which made it fun to be there and to be competing.”

The LeSabre • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in