DIY Halloween Crafts (GoodFree Photos: Free public domain photos)
DIY Halloween Crafts

GoodFree Photos: Free public domain photos

DIY Halloween Crafts for beginners

"When black cats prowl and pumpkins gleam, may luck be yours on Halloween."

October 17, 2018

Brandie @ The Country Cook
Pumpkin Craft

Halloween is an exciting time of year for the students of Sartell High School. These beginner, DIY, crafts are sure to add life to anyone’s home this autumn.

Mason Lid Jar Pumpkins

What you need:

• 20 mason jar lid bands
  • 1 can orange spray paint
  • orange yarn or zip tie

Brandie @ The Country Cook
    Securing the lids
  • 4-inch cinnamon sticks
  • Newspaper

Procedure:

Step One: Lay down newspaper and use your Orange Spray paint to spray the mason jar lid bands orange. Let them dry for about an hour and then flip over and repeat.

Step Two: After your lids dry, you are ready to tie them together. Make sure the grooves or the mason jar lid bands are all facing the same way. Once you have your lids how you want them, you can either tie them with orange yarn or use azip tie to secure them. Make sure to pull the yarn or zip tie as tight as you can to ensure it stays together.

Brandi @ The Country Cook
Cinnamon Sticks

Step Three: After your lids are tied together spread out the lids to form them into the shape of a pumpkin. Make sure they are spaced out evenly.

Step Four: After you have the pumpkin the shape you want it, set 4-5 cinnamon sticks in the center to create a stem. The number of cinnamon sticks used may vary depending on the size of your pumpkin.

Lightswomansday
Halloween Craft

Pumpkin Jar Lights

What you need:

• 5 empty glass jars in various sizes, washed and soaked to remove any labels
  • Measuring tape
  • Scissors
  • Orange tissue paper
  • Small bowl
  • Modge Podge
  • Foam paintbrush
  • Pencil
  • Black construction paper

Procedure:

Step One: Grab your mason jar and measure the height of it. Once you have the height of your jar, cut one-inch strips of tissue paper to the height of your mason jar. Cut about a dozen strips of tissue paper.

Step Two: Once you’ve cut out all your strips of tissue paper, you can begin to mix your glue. In order to make the strips stick to your mason jar, you will need to mix three parts Modge Podge with one part water.

Max Pixel
Glass Mason Blue Jars Mason Jars Jar Blue Canning

Step Three: Take the mixture of Modge Podge and water and use your paintbrush to brush it onto the outside of the mason jar. Once you have covered your jar with the mixture, start to lay the strips on the jar, vertically, next to each other. Make sure there are no spaces between the strips of tissue paper. (Overlap them if needed)

Step Four: Once your jar has dried you can draw faces and other elements on black construction paper. After you have everything cut out you can glue pieces of paper onto the front of your jar.

Step Five: Let you jar sit overnight after you’ve applied all your elements. When you are sure your mason jar is dry, add one more layer of dilute Modge Podge to seal the paper.

Step Six: After you’ve completed you mason jars, you can add candles and battery lights to help them glow in the dark.

Linda
Mummy Mason Jars

Mummy Mason Jars

What you need:

• Black and gold spray paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Rubber bands
  • Mason jar
  • White paint
  • Black paint

Procedure:

Step One: First, you are going to want to pick out a mason jar and spray the entirety of it with your Gold spray paint.

Step Two: After you let your jar completely dry, you are going to wrap it with as many rubber bands as you can to make a cool design.

Linda, It all started with paint
Painting the mason jar

After you’ve applied the rubber bands to your liking, spray the entirety of the mason jar black.

Step Three: After your mason jar is completely dry, remove the rubber bands. You may have to make some touch up with a gold paintbrush to help make the lines cleaner.

Step Four: After everything dries, you are going to take a sponge stamp brush and dip it in white paint. This is what you are going to use to make the eyes. After you’ve placed your eyes where you want them, paint the irises of the eyes black.

Step Five: Let the paint completely dry and display around your home.

Black Cat Pumpkins: Layla Pal

HGTV: Layla Palmer
Cutting slots for cat ears

What you need:

• Pumpkin
  • Hot glue gun 
  • Black paint
  • Scissors
  • Black craft foam
  • Medium-tipped white paint marker
  • White craft paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Black and brown felt
  • Black marker

Procedure:

Step One: Pick your favorite pumpkin for the project. Once you pick your favorite, cover the whole pumpkin with three coats of black paint, while allowing the paint to dry fully between coats.

HGTV: Layla Palmer
Black Cat Halloween Craft

Step Two: Find the color of felt you want and use your scissors to cut out cat ears. After you cut out your ears, use a kitchen knife to cut two small slits by the stem of the pumpkin to put the ears in. Apply a minuscule amount of hot glue into the slot and insert the ears.

Step Three: Take a white paint pen and draw the cats eyes. You can also use paint and a paintbrush.

Step Four: After you have finished the eyes of the cat, take brown felt and cut it into a triangle. Once you’ve got the shape you want, add a dab of hot glue to the felt and put it on the pumpkin. Find three pipe cleaners that have been cut in half hot glue them underneath the felt nose.

About the Contributor
Photo of Jenna Eibes
Jenna Eibes, Journalist

Hi! I am Jenna Eibes, and I am a senior at Sartell High School. In my free time, I love to play soccer, take pictures, hang out with friends, and spend...

The LeSabre • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in