Sabres woes continue in loss to the Spuds

FINAL: Moorhead Spuds 37 - 18 Sartell Sabres


Hunter Boelz

Sartell Sabres vs Moorhead Spuds

On a snowy and rainy Friday night up in the Red River Valley, a battle commenced between the Sartell Sabres and the Moorhead Spuds. Both teams entered that game winless up to this point in the season, but both were looking to change that.

The game started slowly with both teams facing a multitude of difficulties playing in the wet conditions. Turnovers were abundant and both teams would lose the ball within the first five minutes of the game, but Moorhead took advantage of a Sartell interception and turned it into points.

Down 8-0 the Sabres looked to bounce back and they did just that on the next drive which was capped by a Cody Lantis touchdown with 2:08 remaining in the 1st quarter. The 1st quarter would end 8-7 with a slight edge to the Spuds.

The 2nd quarter was another slow quarter which featured a lot of back and forth movement of the ball by both teams. Eventually, the Sabres would strike on a long catch by receiver Dominic Hagy which would push the Sabres into field goal range. The drive was capped by a 34-yard field goal by Adam Magarian.

Hunter Boelz

Seemingly the 2nd quarter looked to end with a score of 10-8 with Sartell in the lead but a quick three and out stop followed by a bad punt by Moorhead set the Sabres up to score again. Quarterback Ryan Giguere continued to show his running success by rushing into the end zone for a 5-yard touchdown which set the Sabres up 8-17 at the half.

Coming out of the half, the Sabres were looking to maintain the same momentum that they had in the first half of play, but Moorhead had other ideas. Moorhead would take the opening drive of the 3rd quarter to the house and would be down by only 1 point midway through the 3rd quarter. Sartell looked to rebound and revive the momentum they had before the half but they could not stop Moorhead. Sartell would throw an interception on their next drive and Moorhead capitalized to retake the lead (22-17) with 3:30 to go in the 3rd quarter.

After that pick, Moorhead never took their foot off the gas and kept playing aggressively to maintain their lead. Running back Riley Schock of the Spuds, took the ball to the house on a 40-yard run. Sartell was never able to climb out of the hole that they seemed to have fallen into after halftime suffering a 29 point turnaround and would go on to lose 37-17.

After the game, defensive back Alex Virnig shared his thoughts on the plan for moving forward. He responded by saying 

Coming back this week and working hard at practice and moving on from the game and preparing to take on Bemidji”

— Alex Virnig

Sartell will play the next two games at home against Bemidji (10/12) and against Brainerd (10/17 Wednesday before MEA).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email