Claire’s Collection week 2

New Discoveries

Screenshot from Google

Screenshot from Google

Though not all of these songs are technically “new,” I have discovered them all in the past year, making them new to me.

“Eventually”- Tame Impala

This song is hands down my favorite song on Currents. I found it this summer while shuffling Tame Impala’s music on Spotify. The beginning of the song isn’t super attractive to me, but around the 3-minute mark a new sound is added into the music, and that made me completely fall in love. I also love what Kevin Parker (the singer) talks about in the song. It’s about a breakup, and how even though it hurts right now both parties will be happier in the end.

“Grand Finale”- The Front Bottoms

Screenshot from Google
The Front Bottoms: Going Grey (2017)

I have loved The Front Bottoms for a long time, but Going Grey brought them a new sound that I really like. I love this song so much. Though this song is actually pretty sad (it’s about Brian Sella [the lead singer] watching his relationship crumble before his eyes) the song sounds pretty bright. I also really love the lyrics in it.

“The Music Scene”-Blockhead

This song is just very different from what I normally listen to. My coworker actually showed me the music video, but I ended up falling in love with the song too. Both are super unique. (I really love the art style of this video, it’s linked below.)

“High Hopes”- Panic! At The Disco

To begin, I love the brass featured in this song; it’s not normally something you hear in popular band’s albums. I really like the message that this song is spreading, about how if you really pursue your dreams they’re possible. This song also has a lot of energy, which is something I enjoy.

“Sensei”- TroyBoi

I had never heard of TroyBoi until this August when the same coworker that showed me “The Music Scene” played this song over the aux. I fell in love with all of the different sounds coming together.

Screenshot from Google
Rainbow Kitten Surprise: Seven + Mary (2013)

“First Class”- Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Though I love almost all the songs on Seven + Mary, this one has got to be my favorite. The acoustic guitar is fantastic, and the whole vibe of the song is just really calm, making it super enjoyable for me. I really enjoy the lyrics of this song too, if you really listen to them.

“She’s Kerosene”- The Interrupters

I really love the energy in this song. It’s something I can listen to in the morning to get some energy going. In addition to the high energy, I absolutely love the backing vocals in the final chorus.

“Don’t Stand a Chance”- The Gromble

I really love the instrumental break after the chorus in this song. I also like the lyric “I heard everyone here was made of stone.” I’m not sure exactly what it’s supposed to mean in the context, but I love metaphors in songs.

“California”- Paul Conrad

I love the changes in sounds between the verses and the chorus. I also like most of the lyrics, but too many to put in an article.

“I Am a Nightmare”- Brand New

Brand New: I Am A Nightmare (2016)

I heard this song at a Brand New concert last October, and have been in love with it ever since. I love the way the guitar changes pitches and how fast it goes.

“Cupid’s Chokehold”- Gym Class Heroes

I really like the guitar in this song too. I also think it’s just cute because Travie McCoy makes it sound like he’s giddy about being in love.

“Bob Marley”- Grizfolk

I love the chorus and the melody in this song.

“Wallflowers”- The Static Jacks

The beginning part of the song (with all of the guitar) was featured on an episode of Shameless and I couldn’t get it out of my head.

“Rivers and Roads”- The Head and The Heart

Screenshot from Google
The Head and the Heart: Self-Titled (2011)

This is the last song my friend played for me before we moved to Bemidji. As you might’ve figured out already, music means a lot to me. I love this song because it reminds me of her, and because it’s just a beautiful song.

“Visions”- Maroon 5

As mentioned in my last collection, I love Maroon 5. However, I definitely like their older stuff more than their newer. This song made the cut, though, because I love the bassline, and because of the little breaks after the chorus.

About the Writer
Claire Bruland, Journalist

Claire is a senior at Sartell High School. She participates in diving in the fall and is the captain of the color guard in the spring. She works at Hollister in the mall and nannies for her two little cousins. Claire really enjoys reading in her spare time. Her favorite books are Looking for Alaska and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Along with reading, Claire enjoys traveling. Her favorite destination is Maho Bay, USVI, and her most recent vacation was to the Dominican Republic. She has always wanted to travel to Norway to meet her cousin Birger and see where her grandfather once lived. She has three cats, Gimlet, Niko, and Kazimir, and a chicken, Thiquita. Claire would love to be a Concordia Cobber or a Gustavus Gustie next fall.

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Kanye West and Donald Trump’s controversial meeting

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

iPhone X review

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Cristiano Ronaldo accused of Sexual Assault

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Minnesota Children Have Been Diagnosed with a Polio-like Disease

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

This week’s football MVP: Jacob Bjelland

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Sophomore Spotlight: Taylor Scepaniak

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Sartell bromance of the week: Jake Mumm & Nick Plautz

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Into the wilderness we go

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Students have a message for our teachers

• Claire’s Collection week 2

2018-2019

Costco coming to St. Cloud

Skip to toolbar
Claire’s Collection week 2