Sartell Trap Team

SHS+students+Saturday+morning+shoot+

Sartell Trap Team

SHS students Saturday morning shoot

SHS students Saturday morning shoot

Breanna Sattler

SHS students Saturday morning shoot

Breanna Sattler

Breanna Sattler

SHS students Saturday morning shoot

Trap shooting has been a growing sport in Minnesota for about the last five years, with many schools picking up the sport every year.

When the regular trap-shooting season ends, there is always a state trap shoot in Alexandria, Minnesota. In the year 2015, this state trap shoot only lasted about six days, but this year (2018) it will be going on for nine days. There are 325 high school teams coming to Alexandria and a total of about 8,000 students participating; each school will be there one day out of the nine to show off their shooters. Shooters will be put into three different categories: novice, junior varsity, and varsity.

Renee Sattler
2017 Trap Team at the State Trap Shoot

Renee Sattler
Breanna Sattler Shooting at the 2017 State Trap Shoot

The Sartell Trap Shooting Team was started in the spring of 2015 by coaches Ben Hoffman and Paul Determan. When it was started it was not only available to SHS students, it was also open to seventh and eighth graders.

The first year they started with about 50 shooters total. This was a big number for all involved; they never thought this many kids would be interested in trap shooting. With this many kids involved, safety was and still is a big concern for the coaches and for each other. Every year before students shoot, there is a meeting held at Del-Tone Youth Gun Club, where the coaches talk about safety, when kids will shoot, how their scores will get entered, and much more. Also at this meeting they have knowledgeable people inspect every shooter’s guns toensuree they are safe to use.

In the year 2016, Paul Determan was no longer able to coach trap shooting, due to his other coaching job as the Sartell High School girls’ varsity golf coach, became more time consuming. That year Paul Moe a teacher at ORE in Sartell stepped up to the plate to help Ben Hoffman coach the team. With so many kids shooting, parents volunteer their time to act as assistant coaches.

This is the fourth year that Sartell has had a trap team, and it has thrived tremendously. Every year more and more students decide to join trap shooting. This year there are a total of 79 shooters; this is the most they have ever had.

In an interview with coach Ben Hoffman, he stated that he decided to coach because “students who showed interest in the sport got him intrigued and thought it would be fun to be involved in a non-traditional school sport.”

He also said that his favorite thing about going to coach at the range on Saturdays is “the students because they are exited about it.”

The coaches have to trust their shooters, and they instill tremendous trust that they are practicing safe methods. Coach Hoffman was unsure if he will be returning as head coach next year.

About the Photographer
Breanna Sattler, Journalist

Grade: Senior

Go-to Article of Clothing: Turtleneck

Living Room Decoration Must Have: White ceramic cat

My Favorites: Restaurant- Texas Road...

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

History of ‘Tackle Cancer’ football

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Evil Genius

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Featured freshman of the week: Sophie Speckhard

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Farewell, Sartell High School

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Dance season closing to an end

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Pets of Sartell: The finale

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

The Good, the Bad, and the Delicious: Part 4

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

The Good, the Bad, and the Delicious: Season Finale

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Sami Lundgren

• Sartell Trap Team

2017-2018

Hair of the week: Derrick Olson

Skip to toolbar
Sartell Trap Team