Santa Fe shooting leaves 10 dead

Santa Fe shooting leaves 10 dead

On the morning of May 18th 2018, at least ten people died during a school shooting in Texas. Explosives were also found on school grounds and surrounding the property. 

There have been confirmed reports of explosives found on the campus and off the campus.”

— Santa Fe Police Chief Jeff Powell

The shooting occurred at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe Texas, which is about 30 miles from Houston. Santa Fe has a population around 13,000 people, with the school having about 1,400 students.

The shooting happened between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. when the shooter entered into an art classroom and started firing shots. Victims and witnesses said that teachers told them to “start running.”

“We thought it was a fire drill at first but really, the teacher said, ‘Start running,’” a student told the television station.

Multiple students ran away, ran to neighboring houses and into bushes. 

I was shaking, my anxiety was bad, I don’t even know what to think.”

— Megan Hunter, student

“Three shots that I heard, so we all took off in the back and I tried to get into the trees, I didn’t want to be in sight. I heard four more shots, and then we jumped the fence to somebody’s house,” a student said.

Around 7:45am, the fire alarms went off (after the scene cleared a little it was discovered that an ex-Marine teacher pulled the alarm to warn the students to get out).

There are two people of interests, and they are both in police custody.

Of the ten dead, nine are students and one is a teacher.   Multiple people, including law enforcement officers, are in the hospital.

All the details have not been released or updated yet. Check out CNN or Google News for even more updated information.

This is the nation’s deadliest mass shooting since the February 14th attack in Parkland, Florida.