An in-depth look at the new Sartell High School

Brock and Ally at the site of the new Sartell High School!

The new Sartell High School is currently under construction near Oak Ridge Elementary and is set to open for the 2019-2020 school year. We had the privilege of going to the building site of the new high school to get a full tour of the building thus far.

A student walking into the new high school will first enter the commons area.  The new commons area/lunch room will be much larger than it is currently.  It will have a wide variety of chairs and tables where students can do homework before school and eat lunch comfortably.  In addition to indoor seating, there will also be a large courtyard between each of the three learning centers.  Students can eat lunch outside or relax in these areas throughout the day.

Brock Sorensen
Commons area/lunch room looking at the offices

The new school will differ from the current high school in that there will be learning centers instead of classrooms.  The new centers will be shared by teachers throughout the day and will consist of mostly glass walls and whiteboards, similar to the model classroom in the current media center.  Teachers will share these learning centers and will not have a room designated to themselves.  When not teaching, teachers will be able to work in an office area, much larger than the ones they have now.  Students will be able to find their teachers in these collaboration spaces, which have room for each teacher to work with any students that have questions, as well as collaborate with each other during prep time.

Brock Sorensen
Future learning pods

The new high school will feature a full sized gymnasium, able to accommodate three basketball courts.  Along with an auxiliary gym, a much larger workout room, multiple locker rooms, and a pool.  The workout room will feature a large glass window looking out at the practice football field.  It will be about double the size of the current workout room.  The locker rooms will also be more spacious than they are currently and much better designed.  The pool will be the same size as the current one, but the seating area will be much larger and less cramped than it currently is.

Brock Sorensen
Building of  pool

A new exciting feature coming to the new high school is a brand new theatre and special black-box theatre.  The new theatre will feature much more seating and a fly system.  There will be balcony seating with handicap access.  The blackbox theatre will be a place where students can present class projects, give speeches, and much more throughout their high school years.

Brock Sorensen
View of future blackbox theatre

The new Sartell High School is being built by Bradbury Stamn Construction.  This company has built hundreds of structures over the past years including Bernick’s arena in Sartell, Kohls Department store in Waite Park and St. Cloud Subaru.  Rick Lockard, the superintendent of the building project, has been a construction superintendent for about 25 years.  He chose to build this high school because of the challenge of a project like this.  They are always very interesting and fun he says.  He also mentioned he loves working with very talented people, and he knew that he would be able to do that with this kind of project.  He has built two other larger schools in the state of New Mexico before coming here to build this high school.

Mr. Lockard said during the interview that he “likes to come to work every day and work with great people in the trades and in the business.”  He went on to say, “I am a seasoned veteran and still love what I get to do every day. ”

The construction on the new school started in May 2017, following the groundbreaking ceremony on May 9th, 2017.   The first area that was built was the gymnasium/pool area, followed by the music area, then the crew began on the learning pods, and so on.  The structure of the building is completely intact and the last beam was put up on Thursday, May 10th, 2018.

Rick Lockard commented on why they ordered what was to be built first: “It is kind of the sequence that we determined to make everything flow through the project the best way for the different components of building between the precast construction and structural steel and matching the deliveries of all of those products.”

The building construction has, for the most part, gone smoothly since May 2017.  The only setbacks have been the long winter and a small fire that took place at the construction sight on March 22nd, 2018.  The school is expected to be completely weather proofed by July 2018 and the completion of the building is set for mid/end of July 2019.

Mr. Lockard had this to say about the setbacks: “The weather, we have lost about 26 days due to weather.  Obviously in Minnesota we have winter time here and we knew we would lose sometime but it is generally not this cold and snowy this late into the season, so we have a lot of work to do this summer.”

Mr. Lockard also shared, “It [the fire] was in an area where everything is concrete, and concrete doesn’t burn, so it was more of a nuisance.”

Brock Sorensen
Asphalt machines that started the small fire.

Safety is being taken into great consideration in the building of the new school. All doors will remain locked throughout the day and the main doors will lead straight into the office for all visitors entering the school after school starts every day.  Although the glass will not be bulletproof, it will be posted glass, similar to glass used for car windshields.

The new school will start holding classes for the 2019-2020 school year.  Pinecone Road will be under construction for the summer of 2018 to accommodate for the new school.  This construction will consist of expanding the road and adding more school friendly features, including a new roundabout and sidewalk.

All updates about the buildings progress can be found here.

The photo gallery below are all of the pictures taken while we toured the construction site.

Full view of the gym and aux gym

About the Contributors
Brock Sorensen, Journalist
Grade: Senior Go-to Article of Clothing: Turtleneck Living Room Decoration Must Have: White Ceramic Cats My Favorites: Brand-Lululemon; Animal-Dog; Day-Friday; Smell-Tires Biggest Pet Peeve:  When people don’t go over the speed limit Quote to Live By: “After Tuesday even the calendar goes WTF.” Soundtrack: “Halo” by Beyoncé TV Show Twinsie: Schmidt (New Girl)          
Ally Koopman, Journalist
Grade: Senior Go-to Article of Clothing: Turtleneck, Khakis (standard color for smart, casual dress trousers for civilians) Living Room Decoration Must Have: Ceramic Cats My Favs: Smell: Fleet Farm Mode of Transportation: Ripstick Hispanic Soap Opera: El Internado Type of Potato: Mashed Quote to live by: “I’m not convinced I know how to read, I’ve just memorized...
  • An in-depth look at the new Sartell High School

News

A bad day at the day spa

News

Santa Fe shooting leaves 10 dead

News

The Earth is facing a water crisis

News

Help the polar bears & save the earth, all in one

News

Caribou Coffee Launches Spring Drinks

News

Video games: pros, cons, and warnings

News

Rhino poaching in South Africa

News

This week in the news: May 6th

News

Mass shooting in Australia

News

Volcano terrorizes Hawaii

Skip to toolbar