8-year-old boy brings knife to school

elementary+school

8-year-old boy brings knife to school

elementary school

elementary school

Katrina Schiller

elementary school

Katrina Schiller

Katrina Schiller

elementary school

Monday morning, April 16, an 8-year-old student at Pleasantview Elementary School came to school with a knife attacking three other students, two of which were sent to the hospital. The injured students suffered superficial wounds to the back of their heads. No one else was seriously injured. The two students that were sent to the hospital are now at home recovering.

The stabbing was reported to local authorities around 7:15 am. Police say the student brought a kitchen knife from his home and stabbed three random students. The victims were 8, 9, and 13 years old. The students were brought to the hospital by their parents and released soon after. Following the stabbing of three classmates, the student suspect walked into the school office and set the knife down. The young students was taken into custody by the Sauk Rapids Police, but due to his age he was later released to his parents.

Since the incident happened before school began, classes continued on schedule, but parents were informed of what happened. An email was sent out by interim Superintendent, Bruce Watkins to the families of all 790 children enrolled at Pleasantview Elementary. He added that students and staff will be able to talk to mental health professionals in needed. 

I don’t think he thought it was a joke. I don’t think he had an intended target when he came to school with a knife. We’re not sure exactly why he came to school with a knife”

— Sauk Rapids Police Chief Perry Beise