Filed under News, Showcase

There is a new addiction taking SHS by storm

Michael
Michael

People today, here at SHS, are facing a new addiction and that is cell phones.

As cell phones get better and better every year, more and more people are buying them.  According to statistics.com, there were 51.99 million smartphones sold in 2017.  According to a Pew Research Center study, 37 percent of teenagers, ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a smartphone, which is an increase from 37 percent in 2013.  Pew goes on to say that 88 percent of teenagers, ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a cellphone and 91 percent of those teenagers have access the internet on cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices at least occasionally.

Forbes.com asserts that people who are addicted to cell phones feel physical symptoms related to it. Some symptoms are increased heart rate and blood presser when they don’t have their cell phones. These people were going through withdrawal, similar to someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol.  The CDC also reported, according to Forbes.com, that there was a noted rise in the rates of depression and suicide in teenagers over the years 2010-2015, and found that girls were particularly at risk: Their suicide rate rose by 65% in those five years. The number of girls with severe depression rose by 58%.  Interestingly, teens who spent more time doing sports, homework, socializing with friends in real life, and going to church had a lower risk for both depression and suicide.

This addiction is causing problems at SHS. The students here are no exception to these startling statistics.  Teachers here are doing their best to help students avoid these pitfalls and trying to counter this somewhat new addiction.

Mr. Notsch has a cell phone hotel similar to Ms. Rainey. Mrs. Wenshau also has a physical spot in her room where students can safely store phones.  A few teachers like Ms. Thompson and Ms. Nelson don’t care if you check your phone during class (when direct instruction isn’t happening), but you are still responsible for the work that they give you and if they become a problem then they will take them. Other teachers like Ms. Schelonka feel that there is a time and a place for cell phones and just like you should not be on your phone while you drive, you shouldn’t be on your phone during class. Ms. Schomer says that she doesn’t feel like it’s an addiction but rather that today’s society is dependent on technology because they have been surrounded by it their whole life.

Students also weighed in on this issue.  One student interviewed said that if they don’t check their phone every five minutes that they feel like that they are missing something. Others said that without their phone, they feel like they are missing part of themselves. Some students are ok if they don’t have their phone on them during a test or during class as long as they can be on it during passing time.

When it comes to teachers taking phones from students, some feel that it is unfair because that is private property even though it is becoming a distraction. Some kids have been known to argue with teachers about them taking their phones.

• There is a new addiction taking SHS by storm

News

Students fight against sex-trafficking

News

#MeToo moves to the military

News

SpaceX puts its first rocket AND the first car in space

News

Controversial Holocaust bill passed in Poland

News

Philadelphia Moves Forward with Supervised Drug Injection Sites

News

Prom theme revealed

News

The Hammer drops on Aziz Ansari and James Franco

News

Sartell High School leaders learning about leadership

News

Ciattis Ristorante Closed

News

Sartell senior Alex Bertsch wins 2 under 20 award

Skip to toolbar