Everyone’s new favorite lunch supervisor

Caleb Kunze, one of the new lunch supervisors at Sartell High School, is probably known for his legendary “Time for class” war cry. He is very outgoing and charismatic with students so he has a good idea of student life here. A stereotypical highschool lunchroom is where the borders between cliques are drawn, as seen in the Mean Girls clip. I interviewed Caleb about his experience in the high school atmosphere.

1. So Caleb, first of all, where did you go to high school?

Actually, I was homeschooled (Oh shoot, there goes my next question) but I still experienced cliques (sigh of relief).

2. Did your house have cliques? Were you part of a high school clique? If so what kind of clique were you in?

I was involved in cliques during extracurricular activities. I would say I was in the sports clique, kind of like the jocks.

3. As a supervisor do you notice cliques forming in the lunchroom? 

Oh yeah, I definitely notice them. You clearly notice it while working here; the cliques are mostly divided by what table you sit at.

4. Do you think these divisions of cliques are a problem here?

No, they aren’t much of a problem. Generally, I think cliques aren’t a bad thing, as long as you still get to know new people and be inclusive.

5. Do you think the administration should be involved in making cliques more open?

Not at this point. It really depends on the clique, some cliques tend to be more inviting whereas others tend to be more closed.