Filed under News

Sartell senior Alex Bertsch wins 2 under 20 award

Sartell High School student Alex Bertsch has recently won the 2 Under 20 Award for his business Epic By Nature.

He started his business as a 15 year old on a 1/2-acre of land at his grandfather’s farm near Milaca. This last summer, he moved to a 500-square-foot garden in his back yard as well as grow shelves in his room.

Epic By Nature is a business that grows organic and sustainable greens that Alex sells at local farmers markets. He estimates that he sells around 2,000 pounds of greens a year.

Alex was nominated for this award by Lori Dornburg, family and consumer sciences teacher and academic extensions coordinator at Sartell Middle School. She said that he stood out to her because he thinks differently than other people his age. St. Cloud Times quoted Dornburg saying, “He has a passion for teaching people the things he truly believes in, and he’s been involved in the organic gardening and working with sustainable foods since he was in middle school,” she said. “He worked hard to get where he is today and he steps out of the box to teach people about that.”

When I asked him what his biggest driving force in running his business is he said, “The biggest driving force for my business has been my unique ability, with a business platform, to educate and inspire people to pursue their own organic endeavors as well as follow what they are passionate about.

He also stated that he has always received a lot of support from everyone in his life. His mother taught him about networking and helped him with speaking in front of crowds and conveying his ideas to others while his father taught him about running his own business. He has also had a lot of help from friends who have helped him plant and care for his crops.

There is a 2 Under 20 Award Program on the 23rd of january at the Recency Plaza in downtown St. Cloud. Tickets to the event cost $10 and are being sold on the St. Cloud Times website.

About the Contributor
Holly Wolff, Journalist
Holly is a junior this year. She enjoys dancing, which she has been doing for six years, and watching Youtube and Netflix in her free time. Her favorite genres of music include rap, pop, country, and rock, but she listens to G-eazy and Jon Bellion religiously. Holly has an identical sister, who goes to Sartell as well. She also...
  • Sartell senior Alex Bertsch wins 2 under 20 award

News

A bad day at the day spa

News

Santa Fe shooting leaves 10 dead

News

The Earth is facing a water crisis

News

Help the polar bears & save the earth, all in one

News

An in-depth look at the new Sartell High School

News

Caribou Coffee Launches Spring Drinks

News

Video games: pros, cons, and warnings

News

Rhino poaching in South Africa

News

This week in the news: May 6th

News

Mass shooting in Australia

Skip to toolbar