Filed under News, Uncategorized

USA gymnastics under scrutiny

New disturbing details have come out regarding sexual assault among the USA Women’s gymnastics team. According to a new lawsuit, the USA Gymnastics organization attempted to stop former gold medal Olympian, McKayla Maroney, from speaking out about the appalling sexual abuse she experienced by the team doctor, Larry Nassar.

Dr. Larry Nassar has pleaded guilty for molesting 10 girls. More than 140 girls and women have accused him of sexual abuse. There were also 37,000 images of child pornography found on his computer. He is already facing a 60 year sentence to the federal child pornography charges. It is expected that the state will sentence Nassar to 25 plus years in
prison on criminal sexual conduct charges. This fall, McKayla Maroney was the first big name gymnast to come out and share her story.

The USA Gymnastics organization praised Maroney for coming out and sharing her awful experience, but now that may seem a bit hypocritical. A year before her story was made public, Maroney told the organization about the situation, and they responded by making her sign a non-disclosure agreement as part of a financial settlement.  She waspaidd $1.25 million to stay quiet. The lawsuit claimed that Maroney would have to pay more than $100,000 should she “speak of her abuse or the settlement.”

Now, lawyers for McKayla have filed a lawsuit against U.S. Olympic Committee, USA gymnastics, and Michigan State University (where Nassar was formerly employed), saying the organizations “failed to properly investigate, disciple, or remove” Nassar and that one particular group tried to keep her from talking about the abuse she’d suffered.

About the Writer
Curtsey Rengel, Journalist
Hello! I’m Curtsey Rengel. I enjoy long walks on the beach and watching a good movie. No, but seriously, I do love going to the beach and hanging out with my friends/family/dog. I am involved in Track & Field, StAT club, and Gender Equality Club. My dog’s name is Maizy. My favorite color is a...
  • USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Little Rock Lake drawdown

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Facing the facts of Sea World: abusement parks

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Cuban plane crash leaves over 100 dead

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

A bad day at the day spa

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Santa Fe shooting leaves 10 dead

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

The Earth is facing a water crisis

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Help the polar bears & save the earth, all in one

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

An in-depth look at the new Sartell High School

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Caribou Coffee Launches Spring Drinks

• USA gymnastics under scrutiny

News

Video games: pros, cons, and warnings

Skip to toolbar
USA gymnastics under scrutiny