‘Thanksgiving in a Bag’ drive collects 73 meals

November 30, 2017

From November 13th through 17th, 2017, first block classes at Sartell High School collected food items for families in need in the community. The Student Council organized this food drive and, with the help of the counseling office, families around Sartell were all provided with ingredients for filling Thanksgiving meals.

Here are some of the 73 bags that were completed by donations from classes the Friday before Thanksgiving. Over 1,500 pounds of food were all moved to Mrs. Fredrickson’s room, before being sorted for families.

With the help of Student Council members and volunteers, Coborns boxes will filled with food items and gift cards to be transported to those in need in Sartell. Each box had at least two bags worth of items inside and at least $40 in gift cards for perishable ingredients, such as butter, eggs, milk and drinks.

At the end of the day, families picked up their donated items discreetly and gratefully, as they headed home in excitement for a loving family Thanksgiving. 

Here shows two Student Council members helping Mrs. Fredrickson’s TA in moving all of the items. Pictured are Janagan Ramanathan and Marrisa Kouba.

The Student Council Vice President, Lauren Lindmeier is accredited with heading the Thanksgiving-in-a-Bag committee and showing her leadership throughout the week.

The school is incredibly grateful and proud of the Sartell High School Student Council to have organized this food drive and taken the time to help those in need during a holiday. Personal thank you’s were delivered to the organization and administration shows their pride for the positive outcome.

Although this year’s food drive was different than before because it replaced Turkey Stamps, the results increased astronomically.

I’m so proud of this accomplishment and happy for the families we helped!”

— NHS Secretary, Student Council Member, and Senior Jordan Och

There was also a contest held to provide a Panera breakfast reward for the first block donating the most bags. Congratulations to Mrs. Schomer’s first block class in their contribution and winnings! Runners-up included Mrs. Driste’s and Mrs. Thompson’s classes.

Thanks go out to our students. Thank you for donating, spreading the word, and encouraging others to contribute. It is your hard work and caring hearts that help those that need it. Continue this trend throughout the upcoming holidays, such as through Toys for Tots. Please spread the love to help those who can use it.

The LeSabre • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in