Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

In an attempt to debunk the myths and curiosities attached to the culinary world, over the next few weeks TLS is on a mission to explore and create delicious cuisine delights by trying new recipes.

Tarah Casper, Journalist

This culinary endeavor began with curiosity sparked from a new trend that has been brought to my attention as of late. I have heard a lot about mug cakes lately. They are exactly what they sound like; they are cakes that you make in a mug. I thought I was being clever when I nicknamed them “cupcakes” until I realize those already exist….oops! So I guess the name mug cakes will just have to do.

Either way, I am always a tad skeptical of anything microwavable unless it’s Stouffer’s mac ‘n cheese (YUM!). Microwaves tend to dry food out, and when I think of cake I think of moist, yummy goodness. But, for the sake of TSL Eats I pressed on.

muggy

The convenient thing about these desserts is that they are super quick and they satisfy that sweet tooth craving in a nice portion size just for one. Honestly, the invention of such treats is a genius idea.

So last night I was craving chocolate chip pumpkin cookies (which isn’t uncommon for me around this time of year) and I just happened to come across a chocolate chip pumpkin mug cake. Brilliant! I was excited.

The list of ingredients was short: a little bit of flour, a hint of sugar, a dash of cinnamon, a smidgen pumpkin purée, and a few other baking essentials. Easy peasy. You mix them all together and microwave for two short minutes.

When I pulled my mug out of the microwave I was met with the beautiful sight of a small cake that looked very similar to my original craving of chocolate chip pumpkin cookies.

Finally, after the mug cooled down a little bit so that I was able to hold it, I took a bite. I was pleasantly met with delicious satisfaction. Although the cake was a little dry, it was delightful! And anyway, who doesn’t enjoy a glass of milk with their cake. It was fantastic, and I will definitely make several more of these in the future.

For the recipe for this mug cake, check out this site!

There is no limit to the different flavors and types of microwavable desserts. Check out some of the other options attached at the top of the article and see what you think!

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

New year to try new things

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

Making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

Heaven baked holiday cookies

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

The chill of autumn in a pumpkin pie smoothie

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

Exploring the “healthy treat” world of avocado brownies

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

SHS Student Life

Struggles of finding your prom dress

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

Opinion

TASTY

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

TLS Eats

New year to try new things

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

Opinion

Let’s Get Kinky (Boots)!!

• Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level

Opinion

If everyone was breaking their thumbs, would you?

Taking “cupcake” to a whole new level